1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New JFK assassination book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And we are still looking for Hoffa.

Some people don't talk.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't think Oswald acted alone. His shot was all wrong. Why shoot as a target is going away from you instead of coming toward you in the best line of fire? Somehow, the mob was behind it. Omerta.
    I think the government's crime/involvement was simply sweeping the truth under the rug, and I don't think that was for nefarious reasons. The powers that be just wanted to put a bow on it and move on.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, there was a show on the Discovery Channel recently where a team of American and Australian rifle/marksmen experts meticulously recreated the assasination usisng the exact weaponry, ammunintion, coordinates, etc., from a site that duplicated Oswald's perch. The material used to duplicate Kennedy's head reacted identically as it did no the Zapruder film. They also took a shot duplicating the so-called , and the "magic" bullet that pierced Kennedy's throat and Connoly, and it acted in almost an identical way and was recovered in almost pristine condition.

I think the biggest mistake many make is saying Oswald had to take three shots in x number of seconds. He didn't. He had to take 2, because the clock doesn't start until the first shot is already taken.

4. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I don't think the JFK conspiracy needed to be nearly as large and sweeping as imagined in Oliver Stone's warped mind.

And the groups that were seemingly unhappy enough with Kennedy to want him dead -- mob, Cubans, CIA, military contractors/brass -- were also staffed by people accustomed to keeping secrets and motivated to keep what they knew close to the vest.

Also, a lot of people who were rumored to be connected to the JFK plot didn't talk because they got dead in a variety of interesting ways -- beginning, of course, with Oswald and Ruby.

5. Hokie_pokie

I ask this honestly because I don't shoot and I've never been a cops reporter: Can a large-caliber round fired from a rifle like Oswald's cause such massive destruction at the entry point?

The back of JFK's head was literally blasted away. I've always just assumed that came from a shot fired from some point in front of his limo, but again, I have no personal experience on which to base that assumption.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Will this be the 5,000th JFK assassination book?

7. Hokie_pokie

At least. I've read the other 4,999, so may as well take a crack at this one too.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.

9. Hokie_pokie

It was crazy how the makeup people on "JFK" were able to make Pesci look like David Ferrie. What a weird-looking guy he was.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds like we have some devotees to the whole case here (Hokie especially). Someone tell me: Was there ever a branch of the conspiracy theory that involved photographic proof of James Earl Ray being in Dallas? I feel like I have seen something like that, but I don't know where I can't track it down on the first few pages of Google.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

One of the assassination books I read a really long time ago called Ferrie a "hairless homosexual adventurer." I don't remember which book, but I read it on vacation and read that section aloud to my friends, because it was such a bizarre description.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I hope they've put the records in a safe sterile bunker where even a nuclear bomb can't destroy them.

And at the same time, how do you get the job in being the one to make sure the records are preserved in a safe area, and also not be at least semi-tempted on a bad day at the job to say the heck with it and leak them out yourself?

Draft saved Draft deleted