1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New JFK assassination book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Looks like it might be a good one, written by a former NYT reporter, considering all the garbage out there from whack jobs:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/07/jfk-conspiracy-theory-you-want-believe-almost-here/67063/

I've long longed for an actual definitive book on the assassination that doesn't serve an agenda. Maybe this will be it?

There is no doubt about to be an onslaught of JFK anniversary coverage. I'm actually looking forward to it, as it was such a touchstone event in my parents' lives. I remember how affected my father was when we visted in the grassy knoll when I was in high school.

Personally, I'm working through a couple JFK books right now, Stephen King's "11/22/63," and Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Kennedy," one fiction and one non-fiction and probably the two mainstream best-sellers on Dallas in the last few years.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thanks for the info, Dick... though the hounds are about to be unleashed, I'll never believe Oswald pulled that off by his lonesome.

Looking forward to reading the book.

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Not a conspiracy nut by any means, but I've read volumes on the assassination and can't see any way that Oswald would've been able to pull it off by himself.

IMHO, Abraham Zapruder and his camera were the two factors the conspirators didn't account for. I still haven't seen anything that's convinced me you can make Kennedy's head react the way it did had the kill shot come from the book depository.

And I'm also looking forward to the book. I'll probably read it cover to cover in one night. I'm a nerd like that.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This book will add nothing to what we already know. Lots of promises with nothing new revealed. A real newspaper guy finding anything new would have gotten it into print when he confirmed it.

Here's what the conspiracy nuts have after 491/2 years: An echo on a radio recording they think might have been a fourth shot. If there was a conspiracy and multiple shooters, there would have been way more than the three (not four) shots fired. And in 491/2 years someone involved would have eventually talked.

5. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I'll be right with you, Hokie. On the book and on the assassination.
    I think it's been provable for some time now that Oswald could not, and did not, do it alone (if at all).

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I've always believed the truth was covered up. Go back and read the Dallas newspapers' articles with eyewitness accounts immediately afterward and you'll see that several said shots came from what became known as the grassy knoll. The commission found the answer they wanted then strung together whatever it could to support it.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've always felt the cover up was motivated by trying to prevent a nuclear war. For example, all the Oswald, Cuba and Russian connections might have caused the American public to demand that Russia be wiped off the face of the earth. Folks like Curtis LeMay thought like that back in those days.

Anyway, seemed like an attempt to just sweep it under the rug as neatly as possible and move ahead without any major geopolitical ramifications, well, except for Vietnam getting ramped up by Johnson. (And there were signs Kennedy was about to pull the plug on all the Southeast Asia involvement.)

I think a lot of assassination records go public in 2029. So, wait sixteen more years and maybe some real answers will start to come out of the woodwork.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2038 (1963+75) is when the deepest darkest stuff is supposed to come out.

That said, I believe Oswald actually carried out the shooting himself.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

People hear stuff all the time where they have no actual idea where the sound is coming from. Sound waves echo off buildings all the time.

How many times in your car have you approached an intersection and heard a siren? You look in your rear-view mirror, only to eventually see the ambulance/fire truck/cop car come from the right or left.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I love how something as simple as Zapruder's camera can change history so much.

And If you have ever been there and see there were so many better places for Oswlad to take the shot from, it is very hard to believe he acted on his own.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't even tell in my own house, which I just moved into a few weeks ago, where voices or noises are coming from.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is the key to any conspiracy, someone eventually talks, unless its a conspiracy of one or two.

Some secretary reads a memo; no conspiracy is done solely by the say shooters, there's always middlemen and supporting characters.

Draft saved Draft deleted