1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Jersey pizza rocks!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goalmouth, Aug 16, 2006.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just had some at Roma in Wanaque -- freshly prepared by authentic Sicilians. Sauce made from tomatoes and not out of a can, delicately seasoned. Crust that was light but didn't crumble with one bite. Plus, freshly made pasta side entrees.

I'll also go to bat for the Star Tavern in Orange, the best thin-crust pizza anywhere. And, you may see Yogi Berra there, if you're lucky.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing as an inauthentic Sicilian? :)

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I should have said native Sicilians, but they've been in the U.S. for some time so that's not completely accurate. Anyway, they're Sicilian and it shows in the food.

Roma's also has Boylan's soda -- made with sugar and not corn syrup.

Did I mention we finished with ices at Rita's, down the street? Never had one, it's a little melty and yummy.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

di fara's in brooklyn is THE place. the guy, dominic, grows his own basil and uses three cheeses. been there for more than 40 years. makes every pie himself. regular and sicilian simply the greatest. people wait for as long as it takes as he makes 'em. a real treat.

ave. j and e. 16th street. you won't be sorry.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes! They all live in Sicily.

When I moved to Chicago from NYC, I used to piss off my Chicago friends by telling them there were no "real Italians" in Chicago—even if there are big Italian neighborhoods. I decided this my second week there when I went to a grocery store and they didn't have "ziti." They looked at me like I was a martian when I said it. They had never even heard of ziti!

It's my contention, actually, that there are no real Italians in Italy, either. All the real Italians came to NY. Before anyone gets their underwear in a bunch, I won't debate this. I just know a real Italian when I see one and they are unique to New York. I grew up around them--from the IROCs to the wife-beater T-shirts to the dads in businesses you didn't talk about.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"What, no fucking ziti, now?"

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You believe that shit? It's kind of like a city in which the people wait at crosswalks like sheep, even when there are no cars in sight. It made me angry. Very, very angry. I'm surprised I lasted in Chicago as long as I did!

Edit: I should have acknowledged the deft use of the Sopranos quote. I did chuckle. :)

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Big fan of pizza. Big fan.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i love a good pizza made someplace other than one of the big chains.

sadly, i have yet to find good pizza here in miami. in fact i haven't anything that even resembles good pizza. sure, you can get the typical individual pizza that half-decent restaurants always put on the menu and that still taste way better than pizza slut or papa john's but not the real stuff.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you want a great tomato pie (like pizza but the tomatoes are on top and a thin layer of cheese is on the bottom) go to DeLorenzo's in Trenton, NJ.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I won't even order thin crust pizza outside of Chicago. Been burned (no pun intended) way too many times.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Actual tomatoes on pizza...ewwww.

And St. Louis has several restaurants with great thin crust.

Draft saved Draft deleted