1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Inquirer owners demote Marimow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gonna Buy me a Dog, Oct 7, 2010.

1. http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/philadelphia-inquirer-editor-out-as-new-owners-assume-control/

I'm hearing staffers learned today furloughs will be starting soon?

Anybody?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"The paper’s new owners, a consortium of some two dozen financial institutions, bought the paper from Philadelphia Newspapers, a group of investors led by Brian P. Tierney that went into bankruptcy last year."

Yeah, I can't see anything that could go wrong here

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm going to say something I hate saying and that it's possible that a 63-year-old ink-stained wretch probably DOESN'T have the right makeup to lead the Inquirer in an increasingly digital age, and I'm also glad he stayed on as a reporter. In the end, he's probably happier.

But the whole thing still sucks.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At least they didn't demote him to police lackey like David Simon did.

5. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Sounds like there might have be additional "shakeups" at the Inquirer today

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

this will not end well.

i call bull on the 63-year-old boss staying on as a reporter. mesays they're working out his parachute as we speak.

it's akin to omar minaya staying on with the mets under a new gm. yeah, right. at least omar went out with some dignity, admitting that won't be happening.

best of luck to our remaining brothers and sisters at the ink.

7. i'm hearing SE Jim Cohen is out?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Any other updates on the Sports dept.?

As for Marimow as "reporter," I'm with Shockey. Ask Dan McGrath in Chicago how well that "staff writer" stint went at the Tribune for the long-time respected SE, once bosses demoted him.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: The number of people who are allowed to age gracefully and exit on their own terms is dwindling each year. The old bargain was in newspapers was, you might get marginalized in role later in your career -- new editors just love rearranging "furniture" -- but you'd be allowed to stay at same status, pay, etc. (especially if you stayed good and kept working hard).

Now, though, they target your salary and want you gone. And there are no limits to how roughly you'll get pushed.

Staffers of all ages need to get the f--- out while they can, before these places get them.

9. I would generally agree. In this case, they're re-assigning Marimow as an (alleged) investigative reporter, so at least he won't be covering zoning board meetings. but who knows how long the arrangement will last.

it can't be easy for a guy like him - incredibly well-respected in the newsroom, two-time Pulitzer winner, now demoted because some clown with no newspaper experience decides he's not up enough on the internet and social media?

yes

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Always worth posting this. Bob Kelso does what we all wish we could do:

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I see on a Facebook posting that Cohen is out. What about Dave Sell?

Draft saved Draft deleted