1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Topsail Island never should have been built up. Hurricane Hazel completely flooded it, but there was only one house on the island at the time. Hurricane Fran destroyed all the dunes on Topsail. All of them. And they are a barrier island's best defense against a hurricane.

North Topsail Beach built a wall of sandbags in the ocean to save a dozen or so houses and a resort from falling into the ocean due to the regular erosion that occurs. I can't imagine they will fare well this week. That little wall will be out to sea by Thursday morning.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Former Miami Herald hurricane writer Mary Merzer is back with his advice ahead of the storm.

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Too late for people now, but . . .

1. If you're buying a house in a hurricane-prone location, do not buy in a neighborhood without underground power lines.

2. If you're buying a house in South Florida, do not buy one built before 1992. Building codes were severely strengthened after Hurricane Andrew in August 1992. A storm that did $4,000 damage to my 1996 roof did $30,000 to my friend's 1990 roof.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Merzer's list is near definitive.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Virginia seemed to have little problem moving its game to Nashville. Wonder why other schools (UNC, NC State) didn't work a bit harder to find alternative sites.

6. Neutral Corner

I suspect that UNC was very happy to find an excuse not to play UCF.

7. Neutral Corner

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It would be wrong to root for him drowning now, but I think it's OK to hope his house is washed away.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That's wrong, too...some sad sack retiree or grandma in east bumfuck Alabama would just sign over her SS check to help him rebuild.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My sympathy for those suckers is very, very limited.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Am I reading the current forecast right? A westerly track once it comes ashore?

Draft saved Draft deleted