1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New house blues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Apr 20, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Be careful, though. Unless you want to fill all of those rooms.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How could a house inspector miss a termite problem? That's sheer incompetency.

Lawyer up.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

T-minus 47 months to last mortgage payment . . . and $300,000 worth of equity.

That's why we own.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's probably too late for Hustle for this move, but when we moved to a new apartment in the fall of '06, we boarded our cats at our vet for the weekend (moved on a Saturday). That kept them out of harm's way during the moving process.

On Monday, we picked them up. The vet told us to keep them in the spare room, w/their food and litter, for at least a day or so and then slowly introduce them to the other rooms over the course of the week.

But within a couple hours, the older cat was crying and scratching at the door. So we let him out, he explored, mewed a whole lot and slept on the bed that night. The younger one was a little more timid and spent the first couple days under the heaters in each room, but it didn't take her long to grow comfortable.

Good luck with everything else, Hustle. The termites bit made me cringe, I can only imagine what it must have been like for you guys.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let it be stated that Mikey does not in fact fail at everything.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Ditto, along with inputting those mortgage interest payments into Turbo Tax & watching my refund amount shoot up.

Hang in there Huss.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I moved into a brand new house (we were the first new owners) a few years ago. The brand-new fridge we bought didn't fit, the moulding around the fridge was broken in the process, the second bathroom has the odd tendency to gurgle when the AC is on and when it rained, one side of the house flooded like it was Noah's time.

Unfortunately, no matter how much research you do, you can't anticipate those everyday situations that causes the house to be a bastard.

The only solution, unfortunately, is to hope there's a clause in your buyer's contract where some items can be fixed, or fix them yourself (if they can be fixed, that is).

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

SON OF A BITCH! Not more than one minute after I wrote that previous post, I walked out of the office in my house, and instantly cracked my head against the side of the thermostat. Now there's a big lump and I'm doing everything I can not to drop about 50,000 F-bombs in front of Little Man.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

If it makes you feel any better, AA: I walked out to pick up the paper this morning in the rain and tried to toss it onto the deck in front of the main entrance. I missed badly, only getting it about halfway up the second flight of stairs. I walked back up to retrieve it and tossed it onto the deck. I wheeled back around (I was heading to my car for a Starbucks breakfast for us) thinking I was one step above the landing.

"What the..." Thump. I was two steps above the landing... balls. So now I have a 2x2 patch on my knee that's nothing but ugly bloodiness, as well as a six-inch red mark on my left shoulder from where the railing caught me.

At any rate, thanks for all of your responses. I wanted to wait until I was in the office and could type normally.

We have a one-month warranty on the home inspection/termite inspection, so we ought to be covered through that. Failing that, we had two different Orkin guys tell us ther termites were mature, so clearly this was something that was pre-existing that wasn't caught. We fully intend on sending the invoice to the home inspection company.

One Orkin guy - their termite expert at our nearby office - pointed out tunnels in the fence around our backyard. They were covered in mud so the termites wouldn't be hurt by the sun; my wife remembered the home inspection guy saying it was minor water rot. I don't want to say anything bad about the guy, because he was nice, treated us well and did point out a lot of little things that we otherwise would have missed.

Hey, we all make mistakes. It's just that he's going to be the one paying for it, not us.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Are you selling the house after the 47 months?

Draft saved Draft deleted