1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hobby at 50

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 15, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was in Palos Verdes; beach right down the hill; water was 68 degrees; waves about 2' high, a wonderful spot (especially with a wetsuit.)

As an "old" guy, I recommend everyone go for it; while they can.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This year I began collecting some vintage windup and (mechanical) automatic watches -- nothing terribly expensive -- and I've been considering learning how to service them. Tonight I am wearing a windup Longines stainless steel and the inscription (which reduces the value of the watch) says it was presented to the guy by his company in 1957 for 25 years' service. Which means it's two years older than I am.

Been burned a few times on eBay but not badly -- those were gambles under $50. I did pay $125 for a 14K rose gold Hamilton tank watch, made in Lancaster, Pa. I found out later that this model is very rare, having been manufactured only for two years before WWII with the company's best movement at the time. It's likely worth seven or eight times what I paid for it. I'll probably sell it at some point because it's a little flashy for my taste -- rose gold seemed like a good idea until I put it on my wrist -- and frankly I'm afraid to wear it on the streets near work. I have three older Hamiltons that were assembled in Pennsylvania but have Swiss movements inside. The old rose gold one was entirely made in Lancaster.

Mostly to work and on days off, I wear one of a few Bulovas from the 1960s. When I get ready for bed, I strap on the 2-year-old Timex, though, because it lights up when you push a button.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

PC.. that is great! Good for you. Will I have it easier if I dive in with an acoustic? I am so in over my head with this, me thinks.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I had the same question. I looked at acoustics at a couple of stores yesterday and talked to the sales guys, but then I started looking at electrics. Are there advantages to learning on an acoustic?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

A long-time guitar player, I recommend learning with an acoustic, but it's certainly not required.

One thing nobody told me when I was teen learning to play - you can improve your guitar's setup.
    My first acoustic was a late 1980s Harmony. I still have it. It was difficult to play and sounded terrible.
    Last year, I pulled it out of the closet, put a new nut and bridge in and had the action reset. Now I love it all over again.

Also, the internet is awash in very good tips and videos for new players.
    That didn't exist when I was learning.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thanks very much, Buck!

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Flip, did you take the plunge, yet?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Buck could answer this better than I could, but I get the impression it's a lot easier to mask your flaws with an electric. An acoustic is far less forgiving. That would probably mean the acoustic will help you polish your technique much more effectively than the electric, but you'll have the aggravation of realizing you're awful for a while.

And agreed with Buck that the online resources these days are pretty amazing. My son has a guitar class in high school, but a lot of his progress is due to stuff on YouTube.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I learned how in my late 20s, when I lived on the Outer Banks. My board was enormous and I could do little more than stand up on it, but the guys doing fancy tricks couldn't have been having any more fun than I was. I immediately got how it becomes like a religion or obsession or whatever. Life can never seem too horrible if you get to surf for even 20 minutes a day.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Man I would love 20 mins/day!

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I just turned 48, and I'm transitioning to the point where more of my time is my own again. Started diet and exercise in March, and I've adjusted my lifestyle and I'm looking for something to pursue other than fitness.

I've always wanted to pursue a pilot's license, but it's cost prohibitive.

I've been waffling for several months between a musical instrument (I can get piano lessons for free) or taking a martial art.

Probably doesn't matter which route I go, as long as I'm seeking self improvement. But the decision has not come easily. At some point in the next few months, though, I intend to pull the trigger.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

NW: I encourage you to go after it, sir. I'm going to give the acoustic a shot, me thinks...

Draft saved Draft deleted