1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New HELMETS from AP!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Should be, but ...

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

OK then...maybe Phil Knight could spread his money around elsewhere at the college. Point being do we really need new helmets every game? Such a stupid, wasteful trend.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

I could spend countless hours looking at the historical helmets here. World Football League helmets? Seriously?

2011 Maryland/Georgia/Boise State not included, though.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

How do you know he doesn't? And perhaps those one-time-use jerseys are being auctioned off afterwards, with proceeds going to help aid university programs or scholarships.

Last time I checked, he oversees a somewhat profitable athletic apparel and shoe company. How dare he spend his company's money on something that he feels will help create buzz around his business.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I prefer www.mghelmets.com ... this guy made a hobby of recreating helmets from not only the pros and colleges, but he's done nearly every high school helmet in the good ol U.S.A. ...

6. flexmaster33

thanks sportsguy...we're revamping the look of our Friday night coverage this fall and those will help us a ton. Been hoping for something like that for years, but didn't expect there to be one for high schools.

7. jr/shotglass

Look closely, because I know they're well short of complete on Pennsylvania. You wouldn't want to commit to them and then find you don't have what you need.

8. flexmaster33

yes, I did notice that...still impressive, but yes, it has about half of our major schools in Oregon.

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Send the guy a photo of the helmet, and he'll recreate it ... not overnight, but I've sent him information on helmet changes from my neck of the woods, and he's made the changes within a few weeks ... it's a hobby for him, after all; not a full-time job ...

10. jr/shotglass

Guy started up the Pennsylvania Helmet Project a couple of years ago. Within a few months, he was batting 1.000 on state high school helmets, even the inner-city Philly schools which had to be difficult to uncover.

We worked out a reciprocal arrangement with them, a plug in the football tab for the right to use the helmets as we wish 365/7.

P.S. I also tackled the project of providing the aerial map image of each school's stadium myself. They're on each team's page. I had a great time doing that.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's my preference just to use the logo whether it's preps, colleges or pros. Helmets can be a little busy for a 6-pica insert.

12. jr/shotglass

We live for busy. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted