1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hampshire Primary Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 5, 2012.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Michael, the sort of pseudo-libertarianism movement was well under way during the Clinton years and gaining steam. You went against it at your own peril.

At the time, I don't think many were in the mood for "more government."

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Brian, I wouldn't call it pseudo-libertarianism or anything else but naked self-interest. Clinton actively courted Wall Street as a source of campaign funds and, much worse, advice and counsel. He really thought those guys were wizards of finance and economics instead of sociopath degenerate gamblers on a hot streak.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, that made me laugh...

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The two tie together, I think. I think there is a perception that a businessman is wise because he/she has to take risks with his own money while a government worker works in government because he's either not good enough or too chickenshit to go into business for himself. That's sort of the mindset.

I think at the time, the mindset is "Hey, these guys MUST know what they're doing."

That still sort of is the mindset now,

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Santorum won the spin award from this morning's positive employment news: It's all because of "optimism that Republicans will take over the White House."

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Santorum called for immediate cuts in Social Security benefits today. Bye, Rick. Hope you enjoyed the 72 hours of attention.

7. Heh heh

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Now he can go back to visiting Walgreens and CVS outlets, sticking long pins into packages of condoms.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Since an "economy" is largely a shared fiction based on levels of confidence in imaginary values, one might make an interesting argument by answering

1. War in Iraq

2. War in Afghanistan

3. Creation of the TSA

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

LOL. One of these is not like the others.

Good grief.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Two words: "Ownership Society"

Not to mention, if it weren't for Democrats, Bush would have gotten rid of the 40-hour workweek, which would have meant hardworking Americans would have essentially taken a pay cut. That would not have been good for the economy. Lukcily, the Dems grew a spine and called him out for it.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Once businessmen could no longer carry more than 3 oz. of toothpaste from city to city in their carry-on luggage, the decline and fall of the American empire began in earnest.

Draft saved Draft deleted