1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hampshire Primary Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I hope that they get rid of the debates and go with a format similar to "Dancing with the Stars," only with the candidates paired up with their biggest campaign contributor.

A co-worker suggested that they should also wear NASCAR-like jumpsuits covered in patches from their other sponsors, but I kind of like the idea of them continuously switching their hats.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And when someone prominent decides to make an endorsement, they should have three different hats with three candidate's last names on them. Then they pick one of the hats.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Secretary of State, excellent qualifications.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Rick Santorum compares same-sex marriage to polygamy Asked by a college student why he opposed the right of same-sex couples to wed, he responded that there was no compelling reason to allow it and suggested that it was akin to legalizing polygamy.

“So, everybody has the right to be happy?” he said. “So, if you’re not happy unless you’re married to five other people, is that OK?”

Santorum’s logic provoked an outcry from the audience, which was made up primarily of local college students but also a number of local conservative voters who were there to support the surging presidential candidate.

It was the first such confrontation over Santorum’s well-documented opposition to gay rights and gay marriage since his surprisingly strong finish in the Iowa caucuses, but it probably won’t be the last. New Hampshire has allowed same-sex marriage since 2010, and voters who were unaware of Santorum’s stance on the issues are likely to hear a great deal about them now that he is emerging as the Christian conservative standard-bearer in the race.

The grilling began almost immediately after Santorum concluded his opening remarks at an event sponsored by the New England College. Student after student challenged him on his stance, especially in light of his earlier remarks about the founding principle that all men were created equal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/rick-santorum-compares-same-sex-marriage-to-polygamy-in-spirited-exchange-at-nh-college/2012/01/05/gIQAdEwXdP_blog.html

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is Hunstman still an active Mormon? I haven't seen anything to suggest he, his wife, or kids are active Mormons anymore.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seems like such a front-running move to wait until a day or two after Iowa to endorse the candidate who came out ahead. Way to go out on a limb there, Johnny.

I'm a Democrat who had a lot of respect for McCain at one time, but the last decade has really eroded a lot of positive feelings I had for him.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You almost get the sense that McCain was just buttering up his centrist friends in the media thinking they'd give him cover for the stuff he had to say to win the GOP nom in 2008.
    It's odd, it seems like the only good Republican to the GOP is one that is hated by all but 50.1 percent (or so) people who vote on election day.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

McCain just leaves me shaking my head.

I don't think that, during my lifetime there has ever been a candidate that I liked better than McCain in 2000, and I so desperately wanted to believe that he was the same person in 2008 that he was in 2000.

I think the Republican Party set him up as a patsy in 2008 and I think he knows it.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In my lifetime the candidate I've liked the most (who sadly never really became one) is Colin Powell.

I liked Rudy for a time also until I learned of all the skeletons and one dimensional campaign that he ran

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked Rudy at the beginning of the 2008 campaign, but as soon as he decided to skip Iowa, NH and South Carolina and focus on Florida, I started to think, "This might not work out too well..."

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My wife, born and raised in Brooklyn, dismissed Rudy's campaign in '08 with one sentence. "This country will never elect someone with that noticable a New York City accent."

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

If the GOP set McCain up as a patsy, how was he basically tied with Obama in mid-September, before Lehman & AIG crapped the bed and took the economy down with them?

McCain got the nomination because his competition was inept, financially overmatched or both. This is much the same reason for Romney (likely) getting the nomination this time.

Draft saved Draft deleted