1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New FWAA president is mad as heck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The players are usually well trained by the SID, but the parents are not. One of the good things about recruiting coverage is you can get to know the parents. When a big story is breaking there will be a mom or dad willing to spill it.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

On the side I'm on now: DO NOT BE CALLING OUR PLAYERS!!

The reality: Sometimes you have to do it, so you do it. Last year, during the transition from beat guy to SE, we used an excellent freelancer for three weeks. Key guy at VT gets hurt in a late game Saturday so there's nothing from him in Sunday. School doesn't make him available on Sunday so she whips out the phone, calls him, gets good stuff. School wasn't happy. Too bad.

Of course, now I'd NEVER say that. Ever. Don't be calling our players!

3. I know you're half-joking, but is it tough for you now to enforce that side of things? After all those years of fighting the good fight (though Beamer's got a good access reputation, I think)?

I know schools want to "protect" the "busy" "student-athletes," but kids were taking calls in high school and coming out of it OK.

Seems rather disingenuous.

4. Moderator1

Tech's access was generally so good that I didn't have to go that route very often. When I did, they put up the obligatory fuss but I really don't think they cared. They seemed to understand that it has to be done sometimes and it wasn't like I was calling players just to shoot the shit. I have Beamer's home number and never had to use it. He never failed to return a call, regardless of day or time.

My message now? I'm not giving your number out. It is your number. Do with it what you will but if you pass it around like candy, expect some calls.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've heard great stories about Virginia Tech's access. It's amazing that someone can be great with the media and win football games like Frank Beamer does.

Most college coaches think that's impossible.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would suggest that if you view a football coach as being similar in any way to the president, that would be a significant part of the problem.

I've worked in both sports and news. And if something breaks on the sports side that's big enough for news to start caring and you explain that you haven't made the calls because "they don't want us to do that," you deserve all the shit that you're going to catch for it.

News side can do it themselves so you don't have to worry about screwing up your access to the team, but don't gripe when news side views you as the toy department.

7. Moderator1

He's tightened up a bit some in recent years but he's still way better than most. Way better. Old days it was ridiculous on the good side. ONE practice a year was closed, the last one of the preseason. He was available every day. Couldn't get the players on Friday.
    He did ask when the 'Net and Web updates become popular that we wait an hour after an injury so they could at least call the kid's parents. Reasonable request.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

In the old days of less than 10 years ago, at the huge D-I school I covered athletes had their phone numbers posted in the student directory. Something huge happened, just pick up the directory and start dialing. Maybe someone will talk.

SIDs didn't like it, but fuck 'em.

I remember one day when some big news broke, probably a hiring or firing, I started going through the team alphabetically.

Anderson, Brown, Collier, etc ... One by one, they said, "SID told us we couldn't talk if reporters called."

Then I have a lightbulb moment, and start calling in reverse alphabetical order, from the back of the directory. Got comments from some kid named Wilson, and it was all good.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

What are you fucking worried about? you candy asses don't even play football!

PS: I just crank called Anthony Grant. Because I can.

10. Moderator1

We don't sexually harass our staff, either. And we play basketball better than you.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Get in fucking line. in both regards.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's gotta be an award-winning story in that Hofstra situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted