1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New football offense

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I prefer my tailbacks to go around end with a lead blocker if we're not going with a veer-style attack

2. For those of you who don't understand how it works.

The team in Calif. using it went 7-2 last year, winning seven in a row, before losing in the playoffs.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Before anyone gets carried away, I covered a high school team in southern Maryland in 1978 where the coach used two QBs and four wides. Seems like that offense was pretty much like the A11. There's really nothing new on offense. Just variations of the run and shoot and shotgun.

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

This quarterback thinks his offense is better:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Stick to the basics!!

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

We need to get a seal here and a seal here and run the ball in the alley.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Righto. You can scarcely even call this football.

8. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Somewhere, Mike Leach just creamed his pants.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Running the same offense as everyone else makes things easier for opposing defenses, on the other hand, if a coach does something drastically different than everyone else, he'd better win or it will be his fault for using a different offense.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So correct me if I'm wrong, but this high school has a huge shortage of fat kids to play on the o-line? Also you gotta have two QB's who can actually run something in the neighborhood of a 4.6 40 and throw semi-accurately on the run or you're going to run out of pivots pretty damn quickly.

just my 2 cents

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

The "inventors" of this offense say it's innovative. It's only innovative in the sense that everyone is wearing a "receiver-eligible" number. That formation of three linemen, two in the backfield and six wides have been used before, many times last year by Florida (to set up running lanes for Tebow).

Anyway, that being said, I watched their video on rivals and I gotta say most of what I saw was horrible defense. Like receivers catching balls in double-coverage, or the QB breaking four tackles at the LOS. I think the only time I had a WOW moment was when the quarterback threw a backwards pass to the other QB, who then threw it across the field to a receiver. But that play still only gained 12 yards.

It kind of reminds me of that college basketball team that jacks up 130 3-pointers a game. Sure, it's kind of neat to watch once or twice, but ultimately it's not going to win you a championship.

P.S. If I were coaching against this team, I'd have my middle linebacker blitzing off the edge every single play and laying out the quarterback. I think after about 4-5 hits, they'd consider going into a traditional formation.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Well, there's an image.

Sometimes, even Leach is too smart for his own good.

Draft saved Draft deleted