1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New football coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 19, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

But some schools don't want to give more than a certain out of out of state scholarships. Those things cost big money.

Besides can you honestly say Idaho has two Division 1-A teams when one of them is Idaho :)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Troy wouldn't be D1 if the Movie Gallery founder didn't have deep pockets.
    And St. Cloud and Mankato are D1 in hockey, which is just fine for their resident and student size...

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I know schools charge more for out-of-state students, but if the school is giving out the scholarship, would it neccesarily make a difference where the person receiving it comes from?

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

This is a dumb question, but how big is high school football in Minnesota and Wisconsin? Is there a deep enough talent pool in either state to support two D 1-A teams? Because, let's face it, it would be tough to recruit quality guys from other states to play up there.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Montana (granted, it's I-AA) seems to have plenty of luck attracting kids from Calif, Texas, etc. to play football.

I've always thought states such as Idaho and Utah have too many D-I schools in some regards. But Minnesota only has one DI school at all. Why not a D-I hoops school other than in the Twin Cities?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because while they have no other D1 hoops, they do have three other D1 hockey teams... Duluth, St. Cloud and Mankato...

It's Minnesota. They get some very, very good basketball talent, but it isn't abundance.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Well the cost to recruit a kid out of state is part of the problem. You've got to fly the kid (and his family in many cases) up to the campus and fly to the kid's home for an in-home visit. But at most state schools every out of state on scholarship takes away from an out of state admission they could charge. So technically it could conceivably cost a lot per student.

Draft saved Draft deleted