1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New evening daily in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double J, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Valley Today was launched Monday in Windsor, which is about 40 miles northwest of Halifax, the provincial capital. It's targeting rural Nova Scotians who are dissatisfied with the lack of coverage they get from the two existing dailies in Halifax.

The independent tabloid is being printed by one of its rivals, the Halifax Chronicle-Herald. There are 30 employees, not including 100 carriers, and the paper will be 40 pages to start. The initial daily press run is 10,000 copies and it's hoped that will double within six months.

It's certainly a great thing to witness the birth of a new daily, but this is an incredibly saturated newspaper market. Along with the three dailies, there are at least five weeklies and a number of bi-weeklies in this general area. Keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Atlantic/061015/t101504.html

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I would give my left arm to someday work at a paper in Halifax. Seriously. It would make it hard to type, but I'd find a way around it.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Windsor, the much-touted, (unfortunately, incorrect) birthplace of hockey.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Would give both arms, fight you for it and then type with my nose.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But then what would you use to flash people?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Flash has an advantage: She's already Canuckian. IJAG, you'd almost have to change your citizenship.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, I know. I did research on it. Apparently there's some law saying jobs in Canada cannot be given to an American until it's proven that there are no Canadians with the skills to fill the position.

So as long as one of the prerequisites is to keep your boobs covered...I've got flash beat.

And I'm not kidding. I love Halifax, and have every intention of some day moving to Canada.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Two nations mourn.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Need a date for this standoff ... after all, there are tickets to sell and concession to stock for the event. :D ;D

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Unfortunately, being uptight is not a prerequisite. You'd lose out then.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Flash showed you!!!!

Stupid IJAG, too uptight to show her tits on a message board!!! What a terrible character flaw!!!

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Ooooh, look, it's the humorless peanut gallery. Stay bitter and clueless, BYH. It's good for you. No really. It is.

Draft saved Draft deleted