1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New equipment — Why do I not care?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Oct 18, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

So our shop is getting new computers, nice ones, and since this is happening at a lot of places, I don't think I'm outing myself here.

Anyways, like other papers, we're short-staffed and we've had people leave and we haven't filled their positions. Meanwhile, we're going to be spending a salary on equipment when it could be used for any number of things — maybe even improved stock to print on.

Sure computers that were last updated in the 90s suck, but really, does it do anything else but make us slightly happier?

Have any of you felt the product or productivity improved after a tech upgrade?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Eventually? Yes. The first few weeks are always a pain in the ass, but if the equipment is truly outdated, you'll be amazed how much time you save because there's not 10 seconds of lag every time you switch between page files or between applications. Or because your machine doesn't crash as often, etc.

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

We had a switch a while back. I have no idea how much it cost, but man did it make life easier, especially for the desk guys, obviously.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I think especially given how fast technology advances, upgrades are part of the equation.

Take it to the absurd: Would you be better off with a couple more staffers, and Olympic typewriters?

Businesses need to advance technology as well as do the right thing by personnel, and you can't just say "We're not going to do one" to concentrate on the other.

Money stupidity in media companies is elsewhere, not in keeping the tools we use up to date.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Many capital expenditures are tax-deductable and can be depreciated over time. Salary is not.

But never argue with a new computer.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You'll be a little big happier once everything is up and running. Trust me. It's not going to make everything at your shop perfect -- not like another writer or two would -- but you'll see some improvements.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: New equipment — Why do I not care?

You could always go back to the days of waxers and Xacto knives and black tape. Or typewriters that look like they belong in the Smithsonian.

When I finally left my first college paper and joined my second one four years later, I left a world where the waxer and the Xacto knife was a big part of layout and joined one in which layout was done on QuarkXPress. Even though that's hopelessly out of date now, the technology jump was literally night and day.

Long story short: It is important to update technology. Will it make as much of a difference on employee morale as filling job holes? Probably not. But it does make some difference.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At some papers, that's known as "last night."

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You're right! I forgot all about the blue pens!

Now I'm all nostalgic and shit.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

It takes me 20 minutes to fully log in. It takes someone who works for me 30 minutes.

Yes, I think new equipment will improve productivity.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And the photo wheel. Have to have a photo wheel.

Draft saved Draft deleted