1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New entry for worst film of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NoOneLikesUs, Sep 5, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's what I thought -- it's the kid equivalent of "The Hangover II."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I liked the little brother better when he didn't talk.

That movie looks like a cut and paste plagiarism job.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It came out in 1983 and did not do well in theaters.
    By the time I was in college, 1987-91, it was multi-showing on cable every year.

Of course, we didn't really understand the concept of reruns back then. The almost punishing approach to reruns these days is ridiculous.

Note to program managers, no need to show a movie or Tv show four consecutive times. If I want to watch it and have a scheduling problem, I record it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I completely agree, but I read something last year that said that TBS/TNT gets crazy good ratings when it does that with movies like Christmas Story and Elf.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I disagree 1,000 -- no, 1,000,000 -- percent with this. I would never push the button to record A Christmas Story because I have seen it so many times. But I always drift over to TBS (and used to drift over to TNT) a half-dozen times in that 24 hours -- never watching in full but always watching parts. It's a golden marketing ploy. Millions of people always know it's on.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm critiquing it as a consumer, not as a marketer.
    As a marketer, it makes perfect sense. The aggregated eyeballs over the course of the marathon look good in a sales pitch to advertisers.
    Although the aggregated eyeballs might be paltry in a per-minute breakdown, my investment in showing it multiple times is nil at worse and probably a savings. I probably pay the distributor very little extra to show it 17 consecutive times as comapred to showing it once, and I don't pay for other programming during that 24-hour run.
    As a result, my profit-per-air-segment percentage is probably very, very high.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't think we have to worry about a 24-hour marathon of the sequel anywhere north of Gitmo.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I used to watch like seven Honeymooners episodes a year, all at random points during the New Year's marathon.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Personally, I've seen 'Christmas Story' so many times, you'd have to pay me to watch it.
    But that's me.
    As a marketer, I understand why they do it.
    As a consumer, I hate it. I'm paying for DirecTV. If I want to watch something, I'll watch it or record it. There's no point in showing the same episode of 'Copper' four times in a row. The show blows. I'm paying for TV and expect my viewing choices to be optimized at all times.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I may never recover. WTF was that!

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And in the TV realm ...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/that-beverly-hills-cop-tv-show-may-be-on-cbs,84560/

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It's nice that you and Macaulay are having butt sex, but I still don't understand how you can place Home Alone (and I won't even fucking mention Home Alone 2) in front of half those movies. Christmas Vacation at #12? You serious, Clark?

Oh yeah -- Love, Actually has to be on that list. Lovely, lovely movie. Better than Jingle All The Way. I mean, what the Bethlehem non-fuck?

Draft saved Draft deleted