1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New "Deadliest Catch" season begins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 15, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I never really know when this show is on, but whenever I come across it while I'm channel surfing I always keep it on until conclusion. Compelling stuff.

2. joe

joe Active Member

I like the show, but after a while it all seems about the same. The interplay between the characters is the most compelling part, but, really, how many times can you watch a crab pot being pulled?

All that said, it's still better than 90 percent of the crap that passes for TV these days.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm picturing one of those Family Guy flashes.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I have a hard time remembering a scene - on any show anywhere - more dramatic than Hillstrand & Co. plucking that guy boat out of the water last season.

I'd watched the show long before then. But that scene ensured I'd never miss another one.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good call ... Hillstrand saw that coming a mile away. Seeing him hug the guy after they pulled him on board -- I mean, he looked as relieved, if not more, than the guy who was in the water. It was a pretty touching moment.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Good call on Nyhammer. The best moment of that crew was breaking out the strange floaties to see the Coast Guard off after the surprise inspection. Nyhammer's best line came when the crew was shopping for supplies.. he looks at the bill (in the neighborhood of 3K) and says "Crap.. THAT much?" To which the clerk replies... "Yeah, but you saved $23.68." Nyhammer: "SWEET!"

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I agree.. but by this point I think Discovery has done a really good job embedding the film crews, which isn't an easy task on a boat that's only so big.

Also, part of the appeal for me is that something can and will go wrong. Don't want to see anybody get hurt, but watching how these guys plow through no matter what is fascinating stuff to me.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, they showed that scene again last night. Every time I see it I get a little misty-eyed.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ... maybe a non-reality show:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24202706&GT1=43001

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Much ado about nothing.

11. Shouldn't we, as journalists, be especially outraged over the staging of a reality show?
    We try to be transparent in what we do. Shouldn't we expect that from Deadliest Catch?
    I won't quit watching, but I'm pretty disappointed.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted