1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New columnist in Jax

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Dec 30, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sort of. Sam Borden goes back to New York to work at Westchester. Gene Frenette promoted to lead guy.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is there a job opening somewhere? If not, this needs to be moved.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

sorry. Thought informational stuff was okay. Feel free to move it, but I don't know how.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mizzougrad, please come to the white courtesy phone.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes - started in jobs, I made my post as a question before I moved it. I meant to go in and delete mine after it got moved - no need now. Sorry for the confusion.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Inspiration loses out to convenience.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Anyway ... thoughts on this change, one year after Borden came down from NY, then went back?

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Borden was a terrible fit in Jacksonville. You don't take a job at Jax's lead columnist and blow off UF-UGA. This sounds like the right move for him.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

never understood what borden was thinking. what's he goin' to westchester for? a column gig? is he replacing o'connor, who i don't think was replaced?

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Frenette is a solid guy who writes some nice stuff and knows the turf well. He'll be great as No. 1 guy now.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't understand the Westchester move because from what I hear a lot of people are looking to get out of Gannett's lastest shipwreck.
    I don't think they ever replaced O'Connor but if that's the slot Borden is filling, he's gonna be heavy on local. He'll be lucky to even get to NYC pro events from what I hear.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was covering a pretty big event several years back and when I arrived at the event, I noticed that I was sitting next to him. I had heard the stories and one friend in the business who I consider to be an extremely nice person once described Frenette as "the most annoying person on the planet."

Within the next 10 minutes, no fewer than 10 people ran up to me and said, "HA! You're sitting next to Frenette!"

It was the most painful experience of my career. At one point the guy sitting on the other side of him and I decided to see how long he could go without talking, which should have been easy since no one was talking to him...

I don't think he ever got to 90 straight seconds until after the game. He probably asked me five questions about my notepad, a few of which came at key points of the game...

"So you prefer the yellow pads."
    "I've heard it's supposed to be easier on the eyes..."
    "Does your paper get those or do you buy them on your own?"

Gene is actually a really good features writer... I'm sure he's a really nice guy, but sitting next to the guy is a really painful experience...

Congrats to him. Congrats to the T-U.

Draft saved Draft deleted