1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New coach pulls women's basketball player's scholarship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Sandoval

Sandoval Member

You really think that was the SID's decision?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Seems like there's a bit of pressure on young Coach Blodgett. She has returned to her alma mater for her first head coaching gig. She was also a Maine prep superstar. She chose to attend Maine, where she was very sucessful. Apparently, Stephen King and his wife each wrote about her in books.

Now she's the head coach after Maine suffered it's first back-to-back losing seasons since 1975. Probably a lot of high expectations there. Perhaps stripping Miss Colon of her scholarship is a rookie mistake. However, methinks she has not earned the right to cast aside players and take away their scholarships.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_basketball/20071112-1358-bkw-sportsshowcase.html

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The bigwigs at the NCAA really need to start asking themselves: Do we want to become like Major League Baseball? Baseball had the reserve clause for 75-plus years, until the players finally got it dumped. And it's only been in the last couple of years after 30 years of fighting that there's been labor peace because of it.

It's crap like pulling scholarships that may eventually backfire on the NCAA. Maybe one thing that can change is the transfer rule, which I haven't seen on this thread yet. Since the scholarships aren't guaranteed for four years, what's to prevent a player from saying that since he's not guaranteed of have a scholarship for next year, that he's going to move from team-to-team, year-after-year. Of course, the NCAA tries to cover their rears with their ridiculous transfer rule, which states that a player must sit out one year if they transfer, ONLY IF THE PLAYER'S CURRENT SCHOOL APPROVES THE TRANSFER. If the star QB at Alabama wants to transfer to Auburn for instance, the Tide can refuse, and make the player sit out TWO years.

Of course, coaches can jump their contracts for a better offer and not be made to sit out a year. But heaven forbid if a player were to do the same thing. (Sacasm font).

Coaches wouldn't be too quick on yanking scholarships if the player they dumped might just go to their rival school.

This is a part of the larger problem that the NCAA has. Mark my words, some day, stuff like this is going to backfire on them. Maybe it will take a Greg Oden-type deciding to wear Nike sneakers instead of his coach's Adidas, or a football player covering his swoosh with some mud or a player with a wealthy family challenging the transfer rule in court because his old school is archrivals with his new school of choice, or a team refusing to play a game during the week because they have class or a football team refusing to play a 12th game on their schedule becasue they are not receiving any increase proportionally in the scholarships.

The NCAA may feel good now, but they better be afraid. Very afraid.

4. Baron Scicluna

Oops, I mispelled sarcasm. Rookie mistake.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Who is this star QB you speak of?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you hit modify, you can fix your post, and we'll never know that misspelled a thing ;)

7. Baron Scicluna

And I had a couple more spelling errors in my main post. My apologies. At least I'm off duty from my newspaper right now.

8. Baron Scicluna

It was just an example. I'm not that huge a follower of college football.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Are you really this dumb? Or do you just not know how to read?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, he's not that dumb. He's just decided to be a dick on this issue because he got shown up on the issue.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

His comments on the Georgia drought thread were even more stupid, if such is possible.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Cadet, you're reply to my post was indecipherable and wasn't a response to my post so much as it was a disjointed rant. If you don't understand a simple mathematical formulation [(operating budget - revenues) / attendance = $ per fan] I can't help you with that. Suffice it to say that dollar per fan basis, the sport generally gets more funding than just about any college sport.

sportschick, what do you do on any thread besides talk shit?

Draft saved Draft deleted