1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New coach at The U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Dec 7, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what does that mean? coker had no personality? he was extremely personable. too nice, sure, but i don't think he came off as dull.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yep. She was the chancellor who hired Alvarez.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Barry Alvarez was an affirmative action hire too.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It means... he's black.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ok, so you're saying he'll do a better job recruiting black players because he's black? that's insane. white guys can't recruit black players? who was the last black head coach to be a huge success in college? i can't think of any black head coaches who have out-recruited their white peers.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's INSANE?

I'm gonna let this one go... I'm in the holiday spirit, I suppose.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

Well, name a black college head coach who has outrecruited his white peers. Part of that is the paucity of black head coaches. But part of it is that if you are a stud recruit, you are going to go someplace that will allow you to be a star and help you get to the NFL and the color of your coach's skin doesn't matter. When Kellen Winslow Jr. was being recruited, his dad wanted him to play for Bobby Williams at Michigan State so Kellen would play for a black coach. Kellen said fuck playing for a black coach, I want to play someplace where I can be successful and train for the NFL and hang out at the beach and went to Miami.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You sort of made my point for me.

It's Randy Shannon at Miami now.

Winslow ain't changing his mind and bucking his dad to go play for Butch at Michigan State if the situations were reversed.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

You said that being black will help Shannon recruit. I said that it was irrelevant. How does that help your point?

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

colombo, based on your response to my and dirk's posts i now have no idea what you're talking about. your basic premise that a black kid is more likely to play for a black coach sounds nice but is not backed up by a shred of evidence.

offer one concrete example of a black head coach being more successful at recruiting than his white peer. just one.

the current black head coaches (ty willingham, sly croom, karl dorrell, ron prince, turner gill) have been no more (or less) successful at recruiting than white coaches as a result of their race. i wouldn't say their race works against them but all of them are middle of the road-to-average division I head coaches, with the jury still out on a couple.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What conclusion can I draw out of this announcement, other than one of two things:

1. Miami is at least somewhat satisfied with the direction of its program.

2. No high-profile coach would be caught dead there anymore.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Greg Cote in his column about the hire in the Miami Herald today brought up a good point. Jimmy Johnson was at Oklahoma State (not exactly a high profile coach) when he took the gig at Miami. Butch Davis was a nobody. Larry Coker was the offensive coordinator and led the team to a national title his first year. It's not like Miami has been stealing big-name coaches with its past hires. Maybe getting a guy on staff who has done a good job is the right call.

Draft saved Draft deleted