1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New coach at The U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Via ESPN,

Miami names Randy Shannon as new football coach.

Link to follow.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Who's Randy Shannon? Really, who is he?

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I believe he is their defensive coordinator and an ex-player for the Hurricanes.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Sounds like they couldn't outpay Alabama for Richie Rod's services.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Here's the story ...

Defensive coordinator to become new head coach

By Mark Schlabach
    ESPN.com

Miami didn't look far for a coach to rebuild its struggling football program. Randy Shannon, the Hurricanes' defensive coordinator the last six seasons, has agreed to a four-year contract to become the school's new head coach, a source close to Shannon said Thursday night.

The source said Shannon was offered the job on Thursday and accepted later in the day. Financial terms weren't immediately known, but Shannon's annual salary is believed to be more than $1 million per season.

Shannon, a popular former player and longtime assistant, becomes only the sixth African-American coach in Division I-A football.

Shannon replaces Larry Coker, who was fired Nov. 24, the day after the Hurricanes upset Boston College 17-14 to salvage a 6-6 season.

Coker had a 59-15 in six seasons at Miami and won the national championship in his first season in 2001. Miami lost to Ohio State 31-24 in double overtime in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, which cost the Hurricanes a second straight national championship.

Shannon, who has been Miami's defensive coordinator since 2001, is considered a safe hire for the financially strapped athletics department. A native of Miami, Shannon was a linebacker on the Hurricanes' 1987 national championship team and has been a longtime assistant at the school.

Shannon, 40, began working at Miami as a graduate assistant in 1991 and left to work for the Miami Dolphins from 1998 to 2000. He returned to his alma mater to join Coker's staff in 2001.

Shannon has long been regarded one of the country's top defensive coordinators and is well-liked by players. The Hurricanes ranked fifth in Division I-A in total defense this season, allowing 252.1 yards per game, and was third in rushing defense, surrendering only 66 yards per game.

Shannon was considered a viable candidate to replace his former boss from the beginning of the search. The Hurricanes targeted Rutgers coach Greg Schiano as their top choice, but the former Miami defensive coordinator told athletic director Paul Dee on Monday that he wasn't interested in the job.

It is believed the Hurricanes also talked with Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, who expressed interest in the job, and requested permission to interview West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez, who is in contract negotiations to become Alabama's new coach.

Shannon had lenghty interviews with Miami president Donna Shalala throughout the day Thursday, and she and Miami board of trustee members agreed Shannon was their choice. Shannon met with Dee and Shalala in New York on Tuesday.

The school is expected to announce Shannon's hiring at a press conference Friday morning.

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

So Donna is in charge of hiring football coaches now? This should be fucking hilarious to watch!

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yeah, because her track record of hiring coaches is soooo miserable. I mean, Barry Alvarez stunk up the joint in Madison....

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least 25th, if its whitlock's poll

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I would have loved to see that Leach offense with real talent.

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

We'll see how she does going with the affirmative action hiring program here. My guess is not well! He better hire a really good offensive coodinator...

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Recruiting should be helped immensely if he has even half a personality.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure she didn't hire him.

Draft saved Draft deleted