1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New circulation numbers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by loveyabye, Apr 30, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I always wondered about that. I usually stay at Hampton Inns and there's always one at my door in the morning, though I usually grab a local paper.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes, and it's amazing how many of the papers go untouched in front of the door.

How many times do you see someone leafing through a paper in the hotel restaurant or even the bar? I'm not seeing it. I have seen plenty of it in Europe.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they were lying to me at my shop.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Slappy,

Have you seen a Detroit News lately? Sheesh.

5. donaugust

donaugust Member

They get paid for. I think that's all that matters here.

None of us gets credit for pass-along either, right?

6. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Detroit News design is great, but Free Press kicks its ass in writing/coverage, IMO.

7. I'm pretty sure (although I don't know for certain) that those hotel distributions aren't complimentary. You're paying for a paper when you stay there.

Read the fine print of the folder with your key. At most places, you can turn down the paper, and 50 cents will be deducted from your bill. But no one bothers, in part because few people traveling on business pay for their own hotel rooms. And, what the hell, it's only 50 cents.

It's a creative way to make money (and bump up your circulation). I'd love to know how many people buy USAToday who are NOT staying in hotels. The Wall Street Journal does the same thing with rental cars and hotels, but I think it's a much lower percentage.

I've noticed more local papers are doing that at the last few hotels I've stayed at.

Draft saved Draft deleted