1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New cigarette warning labels: What is wrong with our country

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Jun 21, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/21/cigarette.labels.gallery/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

The United States is going the Canada route in terms of putting the ill on packs of tobacco, although this was known for quite a while. The images have just been released, though, and let me be the first to say HYPOCRISY!

First of all, people who smoke already know the risks: lung cancer, birth defects, emphysema, yada yada yada. Why would adding images on packs change a smoker's perspective? Smokers don't stare at packs of cigarettes, they could also find these images in a medical journal or, ya know, the Internet.

Second, this seems more like a branding initiative by the FDA and our wholesome government rather than a warning shot fired at the smoking population. Cigarettes are already being taxed more and more, and now they want everyone to quit all the sudden? Many states also have the smoking bans indoors (as well as some bans which completely bar some to smoke in their own apartments and the like). Is this about Obama-Care and not "wasting" free health care for those who smoke and harm themselves? Or is the government just trying to act like a bunch of hard asses and teach those darn smokers a lesson?

Last but not least, why target cigarette smokers? Why aren't there labels of car accidents on beer bottles, or on boxes of McDonald's "all white meat" chicken, or on bottles of painkillers? Will the FDA start putting labels on pork in grocery stores, with a bleeding heart to symbolize possible heart disease stemming from a nice, juicy steak?

This whole initiative just doesn't make sense to me. People who smoke know the risks they are upholding. If you don't know the risks, then you are an idiot. But cigarettes aren't the only culprit of disease and death in this nation; actually, the truth is far from it. The people who are disgustingly obese became fat for a reason, and it was probably fast food and a few two liters of their favorite soda.

I feel like the government just wants to prove its mettle once more, but it's not proving anything to me.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Go have a smoke and STFU. The world is tired of people like you and your bullshit about how smoking equals freedom. The fact that anybody else has to put up with that filth for two seconds is more egregious than anything that has ever been done to a smoker.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

You answered, let me see, none of my questions. And the joke's on you, fool: I don't smoke.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

15-year-olds who think it's cool to bum Dad's smokes or fire up with a few friends aren't going to, um, look in a medical journal or do research online before lighting up. But maybe they'll see the lung photos and think twice. I'm guessing that's who our wholesome government is targeting. But hey, I don't want to get in the way of your rant.

5. kevinj114

kevinj114 New Member

Who cares?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

At some point don't tobacco manufacturers have to stand up and say, "fuck you we aren't doing this."?

I mean, it's not like we'll ever make tobacco illegal. They know this. The Feds know this.

I don't smoke. I've never smoked and I don't particularly care to be around people who do but it's not against the law. If it's that dangerous then ban it altogether and spare us the half-measures that do nothing but provide an opportunity for elected officials to grandstand against the evils of big tobacco while they're raking money in from them on the side.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Because they're an easy target. Interest groups and busy-body "watchdogs" make awesome commercials trying to rid the world of the scourge that is cigarettes. Once they accomplish their goal, the greatest threat to modern man will be but a distant memory and we can all live in peace, free of worry and things that may harm us.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As long as the tobacco industry continues to take massive subsidies from the federal government, the feds can do whatever the hell they want with smoking restrictions and packaging requirements and the tobacco industry should smile and shut the fuck up.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Give us universal health care, where smokers and non-smokers all get the same level of care, and you can have you photo-free packages.

As long as my insurance premiums reflect your "right" to smoke, then you'll just have to put up with some pictures.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's the point. I don't think smokers give a shit.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will actually hope for certain pics on the packages. Like I'll be disappointed when I get the tracheotomy picture, but will be THRILLED when I get the little cartoon baby. It will be like trading cards!

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw the pictures today. They have a tracheotomy picture. Dude is smoking a cigarette and blowing smoke out of a hole in his neck, and there is a message about how addictive they are.

Draft saved Draft deleted