1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New car Driving a stick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jul 12, 2012.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You supposedly "feel the road" better. Of course, you can feel the road running barefoot, which is why I choose to drive, and why I prefer to drive a Lexus. The road sucks; it's full of bumps and dips. I don't want to feel it.

Rumor also has it they "better enhance the symbiosis between man and machine" (aka manual transmission gobbledygook).

Kind of like these devices . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But since I have to have a Pepsi in my right hand at all times . . . a manual just is not an option.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Doesn't manual transmission get slightly better gas mileage? I'm car-ignorant, so that could just be me being stupid.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Control

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Again, never having driven one, that seems so counterintuitive.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They're still thousands -- sometimes -- less than an automatic.

I was looking at new Cruze's a few weeks ago, and the manual ones were about $2,500 less than automatics. Seeing as I can't drive stick to save my life, automatic is the only thing out there for me.

My aunt tried to teach me how to drive her S-10 5-speed before I turned 16. I left a skid mark about 3 1/2 feet long on my grandma's driveway that you can still see. I just never could get the hang of it, and haven't tried again.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

You "feel the road" in the sense that you feel the connection of the car to the road and how the car is responding. The roadster, as is the nature of a roadster, provided the I can feel every pebble in the road under my butt "feel the road" experience - which is why, when I got older I got rid of the cutest, most fun car I ever owned for something that provided butt comfort.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I always drove nothing but sticks, but I now have a stop-and-go 25 mile commute each way. I HATED that commute in a stick. My mood improved immeasurably when I bought an automatic.

Sure felt weird when I went home for a few days last month and borrowed my Dad's car with a 6-speed manual transmission. It was second nature again after a few minutes, but it had been years since I had driven a stick.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Have you ever ridden a 10-speed? Imagine something else switching the gears for you when you are peddling. That is what an automatic is like.

When you drive a stick you also will not be caught with an awkward gear change when you are climbing a hill or passing a car.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's possible to teach a llama to drive a stick.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Dude, seriously, I don't have the hand-eye coordination needed to drive a stick.

I just learned tonight that I don't have a problem with eye-mouth coordination. :D

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why would I want to do something myself when someone else can do it for me? I mean, seriously. How can you have more "control" when someone in front of you slams on their brakes and now you have to do six different things to slow down?

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

First drove a stick in my early 20s. Took some getting used to, but I kind of liked it for a while. When I traded that truck in, I planned to get an automatic but found a used car I really liked that happened to be a stick, so I bought that. Haven't driven one since trading that one in many years ago. Just too much work, especially if you live somewhere with a lot of traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted