1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New blog relives 1978 AL East race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Mar 21, 2010.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Interesting premise from the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. Story explaining it:

www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100314/SPORTS0106/3140347/1007/SPORTS/New-blog-relives-AL-East-race-of-1978-

The blog itself:

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/ultimateseason/

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is cool.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This was really when the whole Eastern media fixation with the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry being this legendary thunderous rivalry got its start.

Before 1978, the only two times in AL history when the Yankees and Red Sox had come down to the final day of the season had been 1949 -- and 1903. Other than those two years, either one team or the other had been out of contention in the final days of the season.

In the Sixties and Seventies when I was growing up and learning about baseball, the general national perception of the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry was that it was no big deal. The current obsession by FOX and ESPN that the whole nation is transfixed by it is preposterous. 85% of the nation either doesn't give a shit or, more likely, hates both teams (and fanbases).

4. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I give Rochester people a lot of credit for the inventiveness and spirit of this. And have no desire to read a darn word of it.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rip my heart out again, BFD... and I don't mean Big Fucking Deal...

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I remember my fifth-grade teacher (she was a fan of one of the two teams, I can't remember which) would post the standings on her chalkboard every day.

Not sure why a Rochester paper is doing this - shouldn't they be recounting Cal Ripken's 1981 season in the minors or something? :)

p.s. Not a fan of the whole fictional characters "writing" the posts.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Mike Caldwell and Larry Hisle thank this blog.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

If it did, I and other Pawtucketeers would look forward to its April 18 write-up ... 32 innings would make for a long blog post.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I was just about to say, live blog THAT game. By inning 24 you'd have WHAT HATH GOD WROUGHT as an entry.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why? Why? I already lived through Joe Morgan and his broken bat flare in Gm 7 in '75.

1978 was brutal. 14 games up in August!!! Then BFD!!! Choking up!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted