1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New AP Stylebook released

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jun 11, 2009.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Oh, about that change in dateline/state abbreviations that we raised hell about a week or two ago? Yeah, AP just sent this along...

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Just got the e-mail notification. The new entry:

website
    A location on the World Wide Web that maintains one or more pages at a specific address. Also, webcam, webcast and webmaster. But as a short form and in terms with separate words, the Web, Web page and Web feed. See Web.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They're 2-for-2 today.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Web site didn't look right to me but that's what I've been using because that's what AP had. Now I can go back to website after all this time.

5. How about changing "On the Net:" in auto and golf glances to "Website:" and ditching the "http://"?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yet, they spent all week promoing the change on AP Exchange ...

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I had mixed feelings on the state thing. Generally, I wanted to keep it the old way. But we get a European feed, too, and were constantly having to edit spelled out states to the abbreviations in stories we used from it. But keeping it this way is fine.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No entry for interwebs?

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

interwebs It's not a big truck; it's a series of tubes.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Big deal. AP can really impress me by having its copy reflect its stylebook and by getting information correct. A little more editing would also be appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted