1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nevada to bill Fossett's widow for search

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, May 1, 2008.

1. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Note to self: If I crash my plane in Nevada, just leave me out there.

CARSON CITY, Nev. -- Gov. Jim Gibbons plans to bill the widow of adventurer Steve Fossett for the unsuccessful recovery search.

Last year, the state spent $687,000 over a month looking for the multimillionaire adventurer after his plane disappeared in northern Nevada. During a month-long search, ground crews, the Nevada National Guard and the Civil Air Patrol scoured a 20,000 square-mile area, but turned up no sign of Fossett or his plane.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/16098195/detail.html?eref=googletoolbar

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Multimillionaires can afford it.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You should only have to pay if they find the body.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why should the family have to pay? They wouldn't have spent that much time and money searching for some common guy.

5. jps

jps Active Member

Wow. That's pretty weak.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you do something stupid, get lost and the government has to go out looking for you, why shouldn't you (or your family if you die) be charged for your stupidity wasting tax money?

Most states charge for rescue searches, esp. when stupidity is involved. Montana does, and apparently so does Nevada.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fossett didn't do anything stupid, though. All he did was take off. He didn't fly in a storm or bad conditions.

And if some hiker stumbles across the crash site five years from now, can Mrs. Fossett get a refund?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Flying in a small plane can be construed by many, including me, as stupid.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So could driving in a small car. People still do it.
    Lots of folks fly in small private planes. In a lot of ways, they're safer than jetliners because if something goes wrong they crash easier. They fly slower and lower, so you have a better chance of surviving a crash. Now, if you happen to crash in the middle of the Nevada desert, that's a different story.

Fossett wasn't just some schmuck taking flying lessons in a homebuilt ultralight. Obviously, something went wrong with his plane (or him physically). He was one of the world's best pilots, and I doubt he'd have taken off in a plane he thought might have mechanical issues.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What? That statement has more reach than Plasticman.

I'm sure the $700,000 or so Nevada is requesting will really make a difference in their nine-figure budget shortfall. This is nothing but political bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted