1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nevada (Mo.) Daily Mail Sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, Jan 31, 2008.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's what I was wondering, myself. Sounds like this is what Beetus said, an attempt to save money while bringing in an entry-level candidate. Egads.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I found out today that they are calling it a "sports writer" position to see if they can bring in someone who would be willing to be trained. I don't know exactly what that means because two of the three candidates that I knew of would have worked out just fine. So what the issue is over there, I don't know. They are looking to save money, but I think this may be lowering expectations just to get a body into that position, even though they could have done so already.

And, yes, you wear at least 2 1/4 hats. It's a one-man staff, no stringers. Since there's no assistant ME, the SE fills in for them when they are on vaction/sick/whatever it may be. But that's just 2 weeks per year. And the photog is good, but only a part timer (he has his own studio), so you have to take the grip-n-grin pics and maybe of some occasional summer baseball.

I have a feeling this is going to be open for a long, long time. That's bad for me because I have to keep filling in on the common weekend edition until that's filled, which gives me a six-day work week in the office and one of those days is in a different city. Could be worse, but could be better, too.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I talked to the previous guy's dad.

He said his son was working for the Daily Mail. It was a steady job, but he wanted to be a paperback writer.

4. That's top-flight posting right there.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not sure what changes they've had in the position. I had no problems working for the company and for the folks in Nevada (as if that means much to anybody else).
    If you can get 25 out of them, it's not a bad job. Cost of living is as low as just about anywhere in the country. 25 there is like 30 in KC, which, for a first job out of college would be decent enough.
    Biggest problem is it's fairly isolated. KC is 100 miles away, Joplin (for what it's worth) is 60 miles away. There are some decent storylines though as the main HS had its conference dissolve and they are facing life as an independent beginning in the fall (nobody will take them).
    Griffons were fun to cover and I had a Chiefs credential but that was on my own time. If you're established you'd probably stay away, but as a newbie, why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted