1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Networking through golf ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Sep 6, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My grandma would be in my happy place, too.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

In 11 years I've never been asked. Besides, the guy said you should really learn golf if you want to get anywhere in business. Never said anything about journalism.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Golf is easy enough if you just get out there and start swinging a club. No one says you have to be amazing while on the course. Probably some of the best connections are made through laughter. At least get a lesson or go out to the range once, and when the next opportunity comes, you better swallow it down and take it for all it's worth.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you changed every reference to "golf" in this thread to "fellatio" it would be much better.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I was listening to NPR the other day, I think it was on Marketplace, and they were saying online games like Second Life and World of Warcraft were becoming the new golf when it came to networking.

People meet up with others in similar fields and become friends/allies in battle.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

If you're under the age of 30.
    I cannot see my Dad knowing what the hell Warcraft is, letalone "networking" through it. Just saying.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I can't tell you the number of times I've kicked my own ass over not being able to play golf well enough to be included with those who play on my beat. They're always going out when we're on the road, or playing in charity tournaments, and always have little inside jokes and stories. Being a golfer would be a major advantage for building relationships.

The problem is, golf isn't something you can really dabble at, and it isn't cheap. I play a couple of times a year and hence never get any better -- when golfers I know invite me to play, I usually decline knowing I'll really slow them down with all my out-of-bounds and extra shots and looking for my ball. Plus my equipment is like three generations behind and ripe for ridicule. It feels like it's too late catch up.

So to answer the original question, hell yes, I'd advise young professionals in our business to take up golf. It's a huge in with a lot of people, and athletes seem to be really into the competitive nature of the game.

8. DEB

DEB Member

I don't play golf, but know journalists that do and one does not play with other journalists, but close friends and ex boyfriends. She has made it a rule not to play with other journalists. Stupid rule but she is taking golf lessons next year because she likes the challenge golf presents for her.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Golf is a great sales tool.

Have accomplished many deals through not only the round of golf, the drinks, the strippers on all of the Par 3's, and the free dinner and booze afterwards....but.......they all went home happy, too.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you've got any interest at all in it, I'd take some lessons. The deal is though, you have to be able to play more than once a year. I get out only a few times a year and it doesn't help my already crappy game. But I love it when I go.

It is weird who you meet on the golf course. Years ago, when my wife was a reporter covering a few small cities in our area, I was playing golf with a co-worker on our Thursday off. The starter put a guy with us who turned out to be a city official in one of the cities Mrs. OTD covered.

I get home and say "How was your day, Honey?"
    --"Rotten--I was trying to reach this guy on the phone all day for a story . . . ."
    --"Oh, sorry, I was playing golf with him."

Mrs. OTD was not amused.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Golf is a fantastic game because of the mental and physical challenges.

Businesswise, its a great opportunity to get to know people, in my business clients. How often do you get to spend 4+ hours with your clients? For me, almost never. This helps establish relationships and get facetime. Now its also hell if you can't stand somebody. But I hate playing with people who act like its life or death.

For all beginners (and others) I recommend walking, not cart golf. Better exercise, better opportunity to enjoy the surroundings, better rhythm.

Draft saved Draft deleted