1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I bought their streaming-only service a few months ago and have been terribly disappointed. There's nothing on it. I am seriously thinking about ditching it entirely and just going with Comcast's included OnDemand (which has better offerings than Netflix streaming), and then just paying the $3.99 or whatever for the twice a month I want to watch a movie.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is interesting.
    I am on the cusp of buying a Roku unit so I can stream movies directly to my TV with lining in a laptop.
    I have been planning to take this step with a follow up step of canceling HBO, the only premium mive chanels we get on DirecTV.
    I had planned to make the move at the conclusion of the current 'True Blood' and 'Curb' seasons.

If/when I do this, I would get the 'stream only' package from Netflix.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The selection for the stream only stuff is not that great on Netflix

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This should be good news for me, because I'm going to end up paying $2 less a month, but I'm annoyed. I very rarely stream any movies from Netflix but maybe once or twice a month, I do. I don't like that it's going to be all or nothing now and there's not enough good stuff available to justify paying 60% more than I do to be able to stream. There are 2 Redboxes on my block and I have On Demand through Comcast.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Considering Netflix's content selection, this seems like a bad idea. I imagine those who want to watch halfway decent movies are going to simply go to DVD only package, which is a step backward for Netflix, which I was under the impression wanted to ditch the costs associated with DVDs (postage, handling, etc.).

If they don't improve their streaming selections, I won't be getting that package anymore. In fact, the only reason I still have it is they spoke earlier this year about how they were hoping to improve their streaming selection with newer movies.

7. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

I enjoy Netflix streaming because I typically just watch the shows, and there is a good selection of shows.

I stick to Vudu to stream movies. They have all the new stuff, and you can stream in lower or higher quality depending on how much you want to spend.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I don't see how this accommodates DVD-viewers at all. It's seemed for awhile like Netflix is trying to steer customers toward streaming-only packages so they can save bank on mailing costs, and this just seems like another step in that direction.

I'll probably fork over the $15 a month for both, but I don't have cable at all, so Netflix is basically my only "TV" bill every month. If I was getting any sort of movie channel this'd be cause to drop it.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think that's likely -- one big warning sign for Netflix's enormous stock run-up of the past 18 months is that their distribution deals are ending, and the next ones are going to cost tons more. For now they have a bit of an end-around, with a deal that gives them rights to Starz movies for $25 million a year, but that deal ends in 2012 and there's talk that the next deal could cost $250 million. (Plus which, the studios aren't happy that Starz let this happen and they are going to make sure their next contracts specifically prohibit it.)

To get a meaningful streaming library, especially of current films, is going to be a tall order for Netflix.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would like to know what Netflix end game is for this strategy is for this.

If they beef up their streaming titles I'm in. If not I will go Blue Ray only.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

To some extent, you had to know they couldn't keep offering what they were for the price. But, especially with a limited streaming selection, going up by more than 50 percent all at once seems a bit harsh. It's also their second price increase this year. When do they become a cable company?

They have more than 2,200 comments and growing fast on their blog. Haven't seen one comment that even suggests someone understands the move.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The growth rate for streaming content has been robust.
    DVDs are bound to turn into fossils soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted