1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NESN TV reporter apologizes after use of ethnic slur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Jun 19, 2019.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

GAHHH!

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'd never heard it, but I'm definitely not from the east coast. I've heard "wop," which wouldn't ever occur to me to use even if I was trying to be nasty, and "guido," which I'd surely just avoid, but never heard "guinea" as an offensive term for Italians. I've also never heard that type of shirt referred to as anything other than a wifebeater or a tank top.

Now I know.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Doesn't find it offensive:

[​IMG]

Dyno, Iron_chet, typefitter and 2 others like this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Apparently....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sox-and-media-members/?utm_term=.aca2cf0bfd5c

I saw some mention on one online dirt sheet about a fight between Varitek and Nick Green over Heidi Watney

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My mother is half Italian. One of my sisters pretty much inherited the entire Italian gene. Our childhood nickname for her was Guinea...often used as Ginzo in public. As mentioned several times I grew up eastern Pennsyltucky , but i am still baffled by how we were beat the shit of in public over that one.

9. justgladtobehere

Mike Felger mentioning Watney/Varitek on-air led to the phone call and apology.

Francona was also rumored to be spending time with a Red Sox employee in 2011. Francona's book with Shaughnessy all but admits it.

10. justgladtobehere

Burn Philadelphia down then. McDonnell is from that place famed for its tolerance and love (It's in the name!).

X-Hack likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Now you listen to me, you smooth talking son of a bitch. Let me lay it on the line for you and your boss, whoever he is. Johnny Fontane will never get that movie. I don't care how many dago guinea wop greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork.

12. justgladtobehere

I'm German-Irish.

Draft saved Draft deleted