1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nescafe Dolce Gusto coffee maker

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Mar 26, 2011.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Help! I'm not a coffee drinker and I'm looking for a birthday gift for the finacee. She saw one on TV and seemed interested but I know nothing about this stuff. Anyone got one and can give me an opinion? Thanks.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

YankeeFan is the resident coffeemaker expert. Ring him up.

3. TwoGloves

Will do.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

The more expensive one can squeeze a couple cups of coffee out of one disk. The Dulce Gusto is one I have, and they make damn sure you don't get but one cup per disk.

5. TwoGloves

So maybe I should look at something else like a Keurig?

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Unlike YankeeFan, I am NOT a coffeemaker expert, but as a person new to the wonders of coffee in the past 18 months, I must say that I LOVE my Keurig machine....Very simple, one good cup whenever you need it, lots of options in terms of the type of coffee sold and you can also buy a little basket insert for it if you want to grind your own. I'm a fan.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Exactly. A little more expensive but will cost less over the long haul.

8. TwoGloves

And it makes all the fancy stuff that I can't spell? Cappuccino for instance?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like everything is moving towards Keurig and dominant machine. Much like move from VHS to DVD to Blu Ray.

Starbucks just cut a deal with with Green Mountain Coffee who is largest distributor of the single pods for Keurig.

If you have any concern for the environment than the pods are not for you. Made out of plastic that will be around for thousands of years. Ironic given that Green Mountain fashions itself as such an environmentally friendly company.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have to put in an anti-Keurig vote. I like my coffee very strong and I have yet to find a Keurig pod that brews strong enough for me. It's quick and convenient and the coffee's not bad, but it's not great either. I know you can buy an empty pod thing to put in your own ground coffee. I haven't tried doing that (the Keurig I use is in our office).

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like my coffee strong also but have found ease of use good trade off for Keurig.

I have found some pod blends that are pretty strong- Italian roast, Newmans extra bold to name two.

Packing your own pod is a pain - defeats purpose of ease. Better for environment though.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've had coffee from a Keurig and it was OK, but kind of like McCoffee to me. Maybe I don't know the variety available? I like buying my own coffee blends that I like, and even though grinding them and brewing them isn't as convenient as popping in a pod, I like the coffee better, so it is worth it to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted