1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nelson Mandela (and Abe Vigoda) not dead yet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Nelson Mandela RIP

"Fucking with you" seems a tad harsh.

It just looked odd when I am used to seeing the RIP moniker on headers announcing the passing of notables.

Thanks for changing Ilmago and welcome back.

Sorry if I upset you.

Just watched Invictus for second time. Nelson Mandela was an amazing man.

RIP

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't think he's dead...

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm ... Can't we blame Twitter for everything now then? I got my updates from televised CNN. Twitter is just another medium that carries the message.

I totally get your point - that reporters jump the gun on Twitter a lot because of the immediacy brought on by (1) The lack of editing; (2) The short character limit.

But I don't think that the Giffords thing was a Twitter-related misstep.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, can you at least put a question mark in the subject? As Mizzou said, there were false reports last week about his death. My wife hasn't heard anything from her family in Cape Town. Here's a story talking about the tests at the hospital. He's not doing well. But why in the hell would a flight agency know about it, yet it hasn't been leaked or released anywhere else, except to a guy on a sports journalists message board? Are they perhaps preparing for a possible funeral in case he doesn't recover? That I can see. Is he dead? A bit more confirmation would be nice.

http://www.capetimes.co.za/what-more-do-we-want-from-madiba-1.1017848

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick -- you are making way too much of this. I was not trying to be analytical. I was noting that we have an erroneous report the kind of which usually spreads on Twitter and not here as original material on SportsJournalists.com. I apologize if I did not convey the full historical context and current usage of social-media-based news distribution in my 10-word post.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody is reporting his death. Just that he's in the hospital for tests, family has visited and that's caused the rumors.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350953/Nelson-Mandela-taken-hospital-family-visits-spark-growing-fears-health.html

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If you haven't noticed, this is a journalism message board. Sometimes, we discuss journalism here. Sorry for offending your sensibilities by doing so.

I'm putting you on ignore from now on. Don't take it personally. I'm just tired of the pissing matches. It's gotten to the point where everything I say gets this kind of response from you, and I'm frankly sick of going round and round. Nice knowing you.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"They get it FIRST . . . but WE get it RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    - Longtime Newspaper jockey refrain

Nice going, IllMago.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I won't believe it until TMZ has it. :D

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member