1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neighboring gas stations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Aug 27, 2009.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Oh, I hate that too. I'm always looking for something in my car to jam in there.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My gas cap worked just fine for keeping the flow going.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Unfortunately my gas cap is not quite long enough where I can do that. I've tried.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I get a pretty significant savings at Shell (7-8 percent) if I use my Shell card, so unless gas is 20 cents a gallon cheaper at the other place, I try to go to Shell no matter what.

I'm guessing the other places have done similar things with their customers.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

See, this is why I ask folks smarter than me questions!

rb

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are two gas stations across the street from each other just where I get on and off I-95 on my way to work. One is consistently two or three cents per gallon cheaper than the other. The cheaper one is always crowded in the morning. In the afternoon, the more expensive one gets all the traffic.
    It's the one with a wine and beer license.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Or they sell for what the can get away with. I know someone who owns a pair of stations, across the street from each other. One's a brand name, one's off-brand. The same tanker drives to station A, then to station B, and A sells gas for 7 or 8 cents more all the time.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I pass three stations on my way from the house to the interstate. Station A (an Exxon), closest to the house, is two cents cheaper on average than Stations B (a Chevron) and C (a Texaco). I think the stations themselves are all owned by the same company (Kangaroo), despite the different brands.
    I used to get gas at the cheaper Exxon. Then I filled up at the Texaco for some reason and noticed that I got better mileage with the Texaco gas. Like two miles a gallon more. With a 120-mile round trip commute, that extra 25 or 30 miles is the difference between making it home and having to stop somewhere in the middle. So now I buy gas at the Texaco (and try to go for Texaco whenever I can) even though it's a bit more expensive.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Lots of places (including all Kangaroos) now have a 10% ethanol blend, which equals worse mileage. If you can find someplace that doesn't use ethanol, it is probabaly worth a few extra pennies per gallon.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Filled up this morning ($2.45).
    It was raining steadily.
    I did not have to get out of the car and get wet.
    That's why God made gas jockeys.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sometimes this makes the difference:

[​IMG]

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Ethanol content is usually mandated by law, and is often seasonal.

Draft saved Draft deleted