1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neighborhood Ass-ociations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Nov 27, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Just one more example of people who let power go to their heads...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061127/ap_on_re_us/anti_peace_sign

I had a neighbor yell at me about something in my yard (a kiddie pool, I believe) saying it was lowering his property value. I asked if he was planning on selling the house in the next hour, and when he said no, I reminded him that if someone were going to look at buying his house, and the presence of my son's kiddie pool would have an impact on the sell price, I'd temporarily move it to the back, if need be.
    I also reminded him that every single time he walks out in shorts made for a 14-year-old, with his nearly 60-year-old nuts almost hanging out, it lowers my property value.

Issue resolved.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My favorite part of that story is the guy firing all the board members b/c they refused to go along with his anti-peace sign nonsense.

What a fucktard!

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the thing about home owner associations is that you agree to abide by their rules when you buy the home.

my favorite one ever was when a resident here in a suburban south florida community complained (actually not to the homeowners association but to the city council) that the neighbor who parked his police car in his driveway lowered the property value of everyone's home. um, no. a visible police car makes the neighborhood safer. safer is good, not bad.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yup, that's all you needed to know about this little man's power trip.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually, I didn't buy the house so I could be a part of the association. Fuck them all, actually. I couldn't give a rump about a one of them, and while I understand their necessity, as a whole these associations take shit way too far.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

At one point, our group decreed that you couldn't put the garbage out for the next day's collection until after 7 p.m. the night before. Of course, I go to work at 5 p.m. Still, I get a special delight out of taking the trash out at 4:55 and looking for ass-ociation officials to smile at.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Understand their necessity? Fuck that. It's my property, I'll do with it as I damn well please (not that I'm a property owner, nor will I be in the forseeable future).

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, if you somehow bought a nice house in a decent neighborhood and your neighbors decided to paint their house in a rainbow motif and put up pink picket fence, you may feel differently about it.

(Feel free to substitute camouflage for rainbow and black for pink if it works better for you)

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm too big a believer in freedom of speech and all that crap. It's their property, they can do what they want with it. I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do, so I wouldn't presume to tell someone else what they can or can't do.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but if your home is worth $250,000 and no one will buy it because of the fright next door, you may feel differently.

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

If your home is worth $250,000, someone will buy it. Perhaps not for the profit you'd hoped, but nevertheless, it will sell.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So it's OK if it cost me $50,000 because the neighbors want to get wacky with their color scheme?

Draft saved Draft deleted