1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needing Advice: First Job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by c.smith, Dec 9, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Worked out pretty well for the Mrs. and me.

And I don't think I need to point out all the threads on this board concerning journalism jobs being whacked.

2. three_bags_full

And I think the last two sentences pretty much sum it up, sp.

3. It's not for everyone. I would die in law school from boredom and I can't imagine MBA would be much better.

Plus, although there is no denying the incredible struggle of newspapers and media in general, companies are laying off people left and right in this economy, so no job is really secure.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

With all due respect, you are living at home. You are not making a living wage. Good for you, but it's tough just to freelance. Some people can't afford to freelance.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Did you get a law degree or an MBA? If you have either, why are you in the military?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Mate,

It's just a tough market out there right now, even for people with quite a few years of experience. Just more people looking than there are jobs available at the moment.

I would never tell anyone not to follow their heart and go for their goals, but it may require some patience and starting small.

Be persistent, keep applying places, do freelance stuff in the mean time. You have some good experience listed and it will pay off at some point.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I am not living at HOME, I meant I'm living in my hometown. I live with a friend.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yeah but yu get no benefits, there's no future in freelance dude.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

If one of you dinosaurs would just quit already, c. smith could take YOUR job.

Sacrifice yourself for the youngster. You'll feel good about it.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm expecting checks of $1000 and $900 from ESPN and and another magazine this month, in addition to the roughly $2000 I make with the major metro per month. I'm stringing for the AJC and others later this month, for another $300 or so. Not trying to be a dick, but that ain't bad.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It also gets you experience and helpls you make contacts, therefore possibly opening up the door in the future to a more permanent position.

To the OP - don't lose hope. I didn't get my first interview until a week before graduation and less than a month later, I was moving across the country.

I second what the other posters said - go and talk to your former editors and see if they can put in a good word for you somewhere where there's an opening. Just keep applying and then, call back around a week later to ensure that they got your application. That way, they have a voice to put with the resume.

Also, you'll have a six-month grace period to pay off your student loans, and there are ways to postpone them if the grace period passes and you haven't found a job yet. Also, if you find that you're making less than you thought you were, you can apply for an income contingent repayment, so it'll only be a fraction of your salary.

12. three_bags_full

Poorly worded response on my part. Let me clarify. Mrs. tbf has the MBA and I am currently working on one.

And why the military? My branch of the Army, the Medical Service Corps, offers endless opportunity for continued education in a number of administrative and clinical professions for senior officers (after my flying days are done, in my case) -- from hospital information systems or hospital administration (the big one) to phds in clinical psychology to pharmacy. Well, you get the picture.

I figured, why not go ahead and get the MBA now, and who knows, it may be Dr. t_b_f one of these days.

And I chose my undergraduate degrees (accounting, managerial finance) because I knew that if I got out of the Army any time soon, I wouldn't have trouble finding a good job. And the speed with which Mrs. tbf has been able to find accounting jobs has proven that it was definitely a wise decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted