1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needing a pass to go to a high school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Nov 5, 2016.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

I would just play along until things blow over. If it takes a few extra minutes then so be it. They'll need your coverage more than you need them, and if your record with them has been solid over the years, then it should blow over.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The blanket statement that in most cases hasn't been true since the 1990s

Stop all coverage of that school and see who loses. Especially if you go public with the reason why.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My high school was open back in the late 1960s. Students could go wherever they wanted during lunch. Lots of 'em went to the beach (4 blocks away) and came back for fourth period with wet swimming trucks on under their jeans. Of course, that was nearly 50 years ago.
    I worked in that town into the mid 1990s and always had complete access. To get to any athlete, just show up at the P.E. office around 3 p.m. and all of them would eventually be there.
    I hadn't been back for 8 or 10 years until I went to campus about 13 years ago to buy some hats for alum friends who I was meeting with later that week. There was a fence around the whole school and I had to check in at the front gate just to get on campus. To most of my-era alums who come for reunions or whatever, their first comment is "I can't believe there is a fence around the whole school. It's just not the same."
    Different times, for sure.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I guess Mr. X's attempts at begging sources for a job didn't work out.

As for a school needing coverage? Why would a school need coverage? Way more effective ways to get news out than a weekly paper nowadays.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Need further proof this is a troll post? Same thread-starter ...

Desire to seek apology from player's parents

I think the school making you get a pass probably is connected to these meany parents who wrote that letter because you screwed up.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm not usually at a school during class hours, usually after class, before, during or after practice. Then, they have a back "athletics" door near the locker rooms, gym and athletic fields. It's typically left unlocked and I just walk in.

When I do show up during the school day, for a scholarship signing or something, I use the front door and do sign in 90% of the time.

I feel awkward hanging around during the school day.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I've been to some schools where they take your photo and print out a badge. Most I've gone to, I just go to a field or knock on a door if I see someone inside. It's almost assuredly not the way it's supposed to happen, but that's life.

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

If I have to sign in to pick up my son for a doctor appointment, then this guy can sign in for campus access. Next.

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Every high school I have been to in our area over the past couple of years requires a pass. Most have security desks right inside the entrance, so you don't have to go to the office. Twenty years ago I could walk right into the school and, if the coach was a teacher, walk right up to his or her classroom without any problem. Not any more.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

At my daughter's high school, you must first see the security guard to be cleared to make your way to the main office. There, your ID is scanned and you are given a temporary photo ID. Then, you get to make your way to the advisor's office where you're told "how college works."

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Agreed with most, almost any school I've ever been in requires a sign in during school hours. I would guess it's board policy most places.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. You should go to the front office, check in and get a pass or a sticker.

Be careful because I once put the sticker on my leather jacket and it left a mark.

Now, I have had reporters barred or threatended to be barred from covering events because they didn't have a pass.

I usually tell them to pay and reimburse it.

But I once had to give an AD lip because he was refusing to let in the reporter who routinely covered his high school just to be a jerk. She didn't have cash on her.

Draft saved Draft deleted