1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needed: New TV. What Do I Buy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Jun 23, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

So, I bought my first TV in 1998, when I moved out of my parents. It's still working. In fact, I'm watching the Jays game on it right now.

But, it's old. And I see all these friends with new TVs with crisp pictures and HD and I can't help but want something new.

The wife has approved the purchase of a new TV.

Problem is, I have NO CLUE what a good TV is today. I don't know if I need/want LCD or Plasma. Wide screen, flat screen, wall mount? There's so much.

I did just help a friend's parents move and they gave me their Sony DVD Home Theatre System (DAV-FX80) as payment. They paid $900 for it two years ago. I've seen it in use at their place. It's like brand new. So, obviously, I'd like to get max performance out of it.

I watch sports 24/7 (when the wfie isn't home or is in bed) and she's a movie person. We do not own a video game system. We also have the ability to order HD digital cable.

So, what the hell kind of TV do I want? Or need?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy a plasma. They're unreliable.

But we need to know more. How much are you willing to spend?

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Price isn't much of an issue, mainly because I have the DVD, surround sound, etc. already. So, it allows me to spend more on the TV.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Then a 42-inch DLP flatscreen should do fine. Make sure it has a built-in HD tuner. No sense spending more than $1K on a TV, then having to pay out more for the tuner.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

The price of projection TVs are dropping because they're being phased out. Might want to look into one of those. Some are less than a grand now. Check out Best Buy or Circuit City if there is one in your area and see which picture you like. If your wife if big on movies, Widescreen is the way to go.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you are getting your channels through, say, satellite, the signals will come through that receiver, and your built-in tuner will just sit there acquiring nothing.

A HD recever can be had for $99.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bought a 42-inch Hitachi flatscreen six months ago. I'm still as giddy every time I turn it on.

What I like most about it, other than the obvious, is that it has a detachable swivel base. Wifey and I couldn't agree on which wall to hang it, so the base came in mighty handy. (That was secretly what I wanted anyway, having a fear of that thing falling off the wall.)

8. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Go to the Consumer Report web site. Look up the last time they ranked TVs. Find out which issue it appeared in. Go to the library and look up that month's issue. Read carefully and take notes.
    Like my father before me I don't make any big purchases without some feedback from CR and it's not never backfired on me yet.
    Recently, I bought exterior house paint and a refrigerator. In the past, dishwasher, dryer and TV. I get good value for the money I spend every time.
    (Now, CR, where's my free subscription?)

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got a Samsung DLP. 50" of pure joy in HD, especially baseball. I recommend this highly.

Whatever big screen you get, get the extended warranty. Extended warranties are almost always a ripoff (especially for cars) but this is the exception. The thing is, there are no cheap repairs to these things. Any part in a big screen is at least $300 plus labor.

Draft saved Draft deleted