1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEEDED: Garage Sale Advice ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kokane_muthashed, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Try getting those little different colored stickers from a place like Office Depot/Max. You can designate a color to be a certain price. ;)

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I don't think I'll be selling many clothes (except baby clothes). It will mostly be books, toys, some old furniture. I think my mom has one of those garment racks, but it doesn't have wheels. no biggie. If I do have a lot of clothes, I'll prolly just run a rope in front of the garage and hang clothes on it.
    Selling water is a good idea, but I'll have to buy a cooler.

I'm kinda worried about rain. Gawd, I hope it doesn't rain on the day (or days) I choose to do this. Really would like to wrap this up in one day, but may do it over two depending on how much crap I have/sell on the first day.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Drink. Heavily. Fuck selling water. Reach into the cooler, pop the top on a beer, take a swig and then offer the can of PBR to the bluehair wanting to know if you'll take 50 cents for that decorative plate instead of the dollar price on it. You might not sell shit, but you'll have fun doing it.
    Jump off the cliff, Kokie. You only live once.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I wish I had the time to do a garage sale. I have about six garbage bags of clothes and tons of other stuff that needs to go. I'm taking it all to goodwill because I just don't have the time to fool with anything else.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

This guy I used to know was a dark motherfucker.

He always complained about his next-door neighbors being up all night drinking, playing loud music and partying till whenever.

He got fired from his job and moved to a different city.

A few months later, he called the newspaper from his old city and said, "I need to take out a classified ad. I'm having a yard sale at 1234 Maple Street this Saturday and Sunday starting at 630 am. Come early for best selection!"

Sure enough, people were banging on his old next-door neighbor's house at 530 am.

One of the best, most colossal fuck you's I've ever heard.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

With Amazon, you're obligated to mail stuff within two business days of when it sells. I typically will go to the post office Tuesdays and Thursdays on my way to work, which covers about 98 percent of the sales.

7. kokane_muthashed

That's right. I forgot. Never sold anything on Amazon. Use ebay exclusively, but I'm thinking about Amazon to sell my books and maybe my sister's too. She has a ton of books. I have a lot too, but she has a library's worth. She reads on average 5 books a month. It's not rare for her to have read every book on the Bestseller's list. She crazy, total bookworm. I used to read a lot, but have cut way down. Good thing about my sister, if there's some new book out, a top-seller, that I'm interested in, I can borrow it from her.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope you know i was being dead serious.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If you run an ad, list a few items that you know will catch attention but that you don't really have. For example, two Honus Wagner baseball cards, T206. Or, maybe, Civil War sex toy. If people ask about those items, tell them they sold for several thousand dollars just a few minutes before they showed up. Another good option: take family photos that look as though they're photos of celebrites. Then have the family members autograph them.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my leather couch in my last sale before i moved, sold two hours before the sale opened. three quarters of the people who showed up at that sale, asked about the damned leather couch. so yeah, mention that big-ticket item(s).

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

so what happened during the garage sale... where's the blog, man?

12. kokane_muthashed

Oh, it's a couple of weeks away. Gonna take me some time to get all the stuff together. Maybe I can hire Bubbler to blog my garage sale.

Draft saved Draft deleted