1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some Toronto help....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by McNuggetsMan, Apr 1, 2009.

1. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I'll be up here for the next several weeks on a business trip. I was hoping to watch every Penguins game on the assumption that the NHL in Canada is like the NFL in the U.S. -- i.e. any decent sports bar buys the package that shows every game every night.

So I walked into a sports bar that claimed to have 97 TVs hoping that they would have the Penguins game on somewhere. The hostess looked at me like I had six heads when I asked if they had the Penguins game.

Am I wrong to assume that sports bars in Toronto will show all the hockey games? Any recommendations for where I can see every game? I am on Yonge street in the Courtyard by Marriott.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gretzky's on Blue Jay Way by Rogers Centre might not be a bad choice.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As well the Leafs are on TSN tonight. They may be shit but they still rule in most bars.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Funny ... I watched the Penguins game tonight at Moose McGuire's. You shoulda got shipped to Calgary.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This is a first...

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

There is a potential a piece of the project could be done in Calgary and another piece in Halifax... which should I decline first?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Both cities are great.

Harbour Sports Grill across from the Westin Harbour Castle on Queen's Quay will have everything you need. Good place. Just don't go there on UFC nights.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think you can generalize.

If there's a Leafs game on, it will dominate the screens no matter what.

Dropped into the Goose last night and they had the Hawks game on one of the screens since David Bolland's from the area. But the Leafs game was on the hi-def big screen.

If you ask the bartender nicely, most of the time they'll switch one of the screens to the game you're looking for.

At least that's my experience.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Forgot about the Harbour Sports Grille, that's a good spot.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Good Lord, why would you decline either one? Two of my favourite places on the planet.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I stayed at the Marriott when I was there. Didn't get any info on what sports bars to go to, but we met some guy at a dive bar that instructed us to go to club gov't. He said you can smell the vagina when you walk in the door.

I will never forget that line as long as I live.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

If Tim's had TVs, it would be even better than it already is.
    Large, triple-triple, roll up that rim to win!

Draft saved Draft deleted