1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some foot advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jul 18, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I know this is gross, and you guys probably don't want to hear it, but ....

I have one huge blister on my heel and two smaller ones on the balls of my feet from yesterday's all day/night orienteering adventures (thank you, Uncle Sam).

Not once have I ever had this problem, so I don't really know what to do with them, other than moleskin.

Pop them, or not?

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

You really shouldn't wear these out in the field.

[​IMG]

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're going to have to pop them, but you're going to want them sanitized first. Use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and make sure your feet are good and clean before you pop them with a pin or needle.

Then drain the fluid, moleskin them up and wrap coban around the moleskin.

(A drill familiar to hockey coaches from the first week of little kids hockey camp; mom and dad send junior out there with brand new skates -- tied loosely -- and then wonder why he gets blisters.)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They still have discos where you live ???

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Check with DocTalk, but back when I was doing long-distance hiking I'd pop then cover with Liquid Bandaid (or SuperGlue) and Moleskin.

6. three_bags_full

These aren't much more comfortable.

[​IMG]

7. three_bags_full

That's what I was thinking, but there's that whole school of thought for not popping them, too.

I guess my feet have gotten tender in my old age. That's not a good thing, for the next five months. Ick.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The only way you can get away with not popping them is if you're sure they won't pop on their own.

If you're going to be on your feet at all in the next couple days, pop them sumbitches.

Otherwise they're going to pop in your boots and you're going to end up with an infection.

9. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

There's a reason they formed in the first place, and that reason is abrasion. They will pop on their own if you don't do it. And popping them when and where you will be able to treat them properly is much better than having them pop b y themselves when you're out on the 20-hike.
    I got one about four weeks ago when we went on a fire run and I put my feet into my bunker gear without wearing socks. First time I've done that in 15 years on the department.
    Anyway, I'd pop them.
    But get an audience first. ;D

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If the military is don't ask/don't tell, these are a dead giveway.

I don't like to pop them, but usually end up doig it and regrettng it. BUt liek they said, opo them and clean the up, use several band-aids and extra socks.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you're undergoing inspection, remove all toe jam, pop all blisters and, for the love of God, lock your foot locker.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

INGREDIENTS:
    6 pig's feet (from the hind legs)
    1 onion stuck with 6 cloves
    1 carrot
    1 bay leaf
    12 peppercorns
    Salt
    1 bunch parsley
    1 sprig thyme
    PREPARATION:
    Combine pig's feet, onion, carrot, bay leaf, peppercorns, salt, parsley, and thyme in a heavy pot or Dutch oven and pour in water to barely cover all.
    Gently bring contents to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 3 hours.
    Crubeens may be eaten hot or cold.
    Yield: 2 servings

Draft saved Draft deleted