1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some advice on a situation that could be brewing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 2, 2007.

1. zman82

zman82 Member

in our business isn't that standard?
    seriously though, i've had it bvoth ways. i had a weekly pay the cost of my u-haul and i also had a mid-sized daily tell me they wouldn't pay a cent to help me move. neddless to say, i didn't take the job because i thought i'd be in debt for too long after the move.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Ask away. If they're offering you a job, they want you and they should be willing to pay for a move. And after all, if you can deduct moving expenses on your income taxes, it seems to me a company can write that off too. My last move was from one state away...they paid all the costs for me to go there and hunt for a place to live, and half of the moving expenses.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

zman - i've never paid for a move and i've never turned a job down because someone wouldn't pay, although i certainly make relocation expenses a non-negotiable aspect during that first inquiry phone call from a potential employer.

4. Mira

Mira Member

I've had employers pay all the expenses for moves and another paid half. When I moved and couldn't get in an apartment right away, employer paid for one week at a hotel.

You should defnitely ask for reimbursement of some type.

Draft saved Draft deleted