1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some advice on a situation that could be brewing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Ladies and Gents, I'm headed off to an inperson interview in two weeks at a paper that is three states away. Currently, it looks very promising, but I have a question--when I have my face to face meeting, if all works out and there is an offer and I accept, should I ask for the paper to move my wife and I up there, and if so, do I ask for the full amount involved, half or some of my salary up front to help with the expenses? I've never had to worry about this before. Any input would be great, and thanks in advance.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Estimate the expenses for the move before you go up for the interview, then include them as part of the negotiation.

Ask for the full cost at first. They may agree, counter with half (which is better than nothing) or say no.

If they say no first, then ask for half.

3. I assume it's a major consideration for you and your family in accepting the position, so you should definitely bring it up. The worst that can happen is they tell you no. I can't imagine they would rescind a job offer just for asking about moving expenses. And if they did do that, you wouldn't want to work there anyway.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure, it's typical for a company to pay moving expenses when they hire someone from a different location.

5. That hasn't been my experience, but I was never afraid to at least bring it up during negotiations.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ask. Lots of places don't offer but will pony up if asked. If they are brining a married guy from three states away in, they would expect to be asked.

Now, if you are a single person just out of college, they might just expect to split the uhaul trailer bill.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ask for it all. What are they going to tell you? No?

8. runningman

runningman New Member

I'm with BP - I've had just one newspaper offer relocation assistance - and that was when I was moving two-thirds of the way across the country.

Once, I was called to interview for one job a few states away. They refused to do an over-the-phone interview. From what they said, I wasn't too encouraged about being a high-priority candidate. I didn't want a job offer before the interview, of course, but I wanted to make sure I was being seriously considered - not just a number to meet some internally mandated quota.

Sorry, I got a little off subject. It never hurts to ask; I'd be surprised if you're told yes. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hasn't been my experience, either. Another option -- that won't help with up-front expenses, but you take what you can get sometimes -- is for them to start you on the payroll a week or two early.

Depending on how expensive your moving costs are, it could cover all of it, some of it or very little.

But by all means: bring it up. You have to ask for these things yourself. Nobody else is going to ask for you.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

For a big move, I've never NOT been moved. You gotta ask ...

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I've had papers pay for my moving expenses up to a certain point, like $500. They volunteered the money, something I greatly appreciated.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It takes a lot of money to move a family. A lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted