1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Some Advice Fast

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Heading to my in person interview, which is three states away the second half of the week. However, from the time I had the phone one to now, my wife and I have found out we are expecting. When I go for the in person, do I mention this and see if their insurance will pick it up or keep my mouth closed, and fear it not being covered due to it being a pre-exisiting condition?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you wait til you are actually offered the job before bringing this up? They don't control what the health insurance company does anyway.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Not sure how I'd handle it ... but congratulations.

4. Congratulations, as well. I'd handle the interview the exact same way, and just see where it goes from there. TSP is right.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Absolutely, congratulations.

I've been in your exact shoes before. Don't mention it until there's a solid offer on the table.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm no expert, but I don't think pregnancy counts as a pre-existing condition.

I know my wife was pregnant when she interviewed for her current job. She showed up a few months later, and she never said much about it. Of course, it became obvious. But her employer didn't give two shits about the insurance side of things. It hardly matters to them. It's the insurance company that will care. In my wife's case, it wasn't as if she had to divulge that she was pregnant to the insurance company. And when the time came, they just picked up the bills as if she had been with that insurance company at the time of conception. Actually, now that I think about it, there was some guy standing over my shoulder whispering something about actuary tables into my ear.

7. I don't think it's a pre-existing condition either. What you really need to worry about is whether they'll even give you insurance before six months on the job. My last two papers wouldn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted