1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Notebook Computer help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

Last week, some orange juice spilled on the right side of the keyboard of my notebook computer. I know, I know, I shouldn't allow the orange juice near there, but my 7-year-old daughter left it there and....

We cleaned up as best as we could and the operation of the computer doesn't seem to be affected, but the Tab and Caps Lock keys are a bit sticky.

I know the keys come off, although I am a little afraid to do this. I don't want to make a big payment to a computer shop if I don't have to. How can I clean this up?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Take the keys off and clean it with some rubbing alcohol. Only use a tiny bit. Make sure there isn't anything left in there (bits of cotton or moisture) and put em back on.

Good luck!
    -Beetus

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Thanks... could I use a Clorox wipe? How is the best way to get the computer key off. Would a screwdriver be too harsh? (I'm not good with technical stuff).

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Those would probably work fine. I would check your manual (if you have it still) or check online. It's best to be able to put them back on when you're done ;)

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You could try a nail file or a knife, too. You should be OK with taking them out. I'd do it slowly, though, just in case the key is bending instead of popping out of place like it should.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You should be able to get a fingernail under the key and pry it off gently. I would be leery of using metal, just in case you slip and damage the electronics. What I would do is do a search for your computer model keyboard, then narrow it to 'cleaning' or 'repair' -- something like that. There's enough of of computer geeks out in cyberland that you might be able to find step by step pictures showing you how to clean it.

Draft saved Draft deleted