1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need info on moving expenses...asap

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mattyb, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now sell all the shit you own and make it a cheap move.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

They absolutely should cover at least part of your moving expenses. Get an estimate from a moving company and then pass that info along to the editor. If they're so stingy that they won't help, are you sure you want to work for them?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seriously. I'd rather sell a bunch of my stuff than have them take anything out of my salary. Most of us don't make dick as it is, so why should you make less just to keep some possessions you can purchase later down the line.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Not meaning to pile on, but this is definitely not a good move. You would be much better off, in a pinch, to find a zero-percent interest credit card you qualify for and put your moving expenses on it. Pay it off over time and earn whatever rewards it offers in the process, rather than giving your new employer a chunk of your salary.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Or you can just get a rich friend to bankroll your move and then pay her back, like I have lined up if I can get anyone in NYC to give me a job.

I'm currently looking at restaurant hostessing gigs.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Because when I moved, I couldn't afford first and last month's rent, and a deposit and gas to move out there.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you cannot physically afford to move somewhere, and you make this clear to the people who offered you a job in that place, and they still are not willing to give you a cent so you can be physically present to work that job ... then you cannot take that job.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ask. A reasonable figure would be $1,000 or $2,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted