1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need info on Missouri's student newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daveevansedge, Apr 5, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Another voucher for Greg Bowers. Worked near him for 15 years before he returned to academia. Good guy and a true pro.

2. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

If Greg said, "okay, looks good," it probably did. Ain't no sugarcoating with that man, so take it as a compliment.
    Either that or he realized you were beyond hope. ;D

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

As for the original post, Mark Twain is probably the J dorm that he is in. All that means is there is a floor or two out of six or eight floors that has mostly journalism kids. He will be in the same two or three classes with people in the Scholars. That helps out come test time and gives you an immediate social network.

As others have said, the Maneater and other student papers pay, the Missourian does not. The Maneater pays by the article. When I was there a few years ago you had to write five articles, then you were paid $8 per article. After a semester or two you become a "senior staff writer" and make a few more bucks per story. Copy deskers were paid a flat rate per shift. I think it was something like $25 for three or four hours on the desk. You got $12 per page to design. I never did it, but wish I had. Seems like easy money, though you maybe got $12 for the first page and less for each one after that. Editors were payed a few hundred bucks per month. The MU Student News and Greek Chronicle are two other papers. The Student News always seemed like it was under sketchy ownership. Last time I read it they had "foreign correspondents" and bragged about their international news. I don't know what's up with that.

IIRC, the Missourian had a few work study undergrad kids who were paid to do bitch work around the office. They would help with filing for the office manager. The sports one would usually type up the local sports schedule and TV listings. I think Greg also gave them the task of putting together APSE packets. The Missourian also has TAs who are paid. They are usually copy deskers on newsside and copy editors/designers in sports. They will slot stories when the editors are busy and do an inside page or two so the people taking the class can design the cover.

Mizzoukid, take 'beets' advice about getting feedback from Bowers. I worked with him for two years and got few compliments or 'atta boys, but when I did, I knew I did something right and was proud. I think the Missourian sports section works so well is because Greg and Grant are great compliments for each other. Greg is a great big picture guy, while Grant's editing is about the small details.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

kinda like an SE? you don't say.

5. Compliments for each other?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

grant likes greg with mustard. no. damn. that's condiments.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

what Tom said.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

;)

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think they do speak well of each, yes.

Their abilities complement each other well.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Man, Grant must have changed a lot as an editor since I was there, though apparently he hasn't changed his phone greeting, eh, Jeremy?

Grant was a very passive editor when I was there; he rarely, if ever, made more than a minor change to my stories and didn't give a ton of feedback. Good guy, for sure, but not aggressive as an editor, which I'm sure was in part because the SE was a tougher editor. Ray Murray was my SE, and he was a hard ass (in a good way). Ray's editing made me a much better writer.

11. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Hey, folks,
    Thanks for all the feedback on this. In case it matters, the only reason I broached this topic is that my nephew -- and his parents -- are trying to balance out all the costs of going to college. He knows he'll need a job of some sort during college, so I just wanted to get some idea of whether he could make some scratch at the student publications, should he earn an opportunity to work for any of them. Again, thanks much.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you really think this thread will end now?

Draft saved Draft deleted