1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with a ski trip to Denver

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Noticed Vail Resorts is running special - you can buy unlimited season pass to ski A Basin/Keystone/ Breckenridge for $419 - not a bad deal

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

We've decided on Breckenridge. Now we're looking at lodging.

I like the idea of ski in-ski out, but we're not opposed to staying in Frisco/Dillon.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay in Breckenridge that isn't going to cost me an arm, leg and my first born?

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I would recommend Keystone as well, which was super until I ripped my ACL halfway through the first afternoon. Their Ski Patrol and on-site hospital is FIRST-RATE.

In my more flexible youth, though, we always liked Winter Park or Breckenridge. A-Basin is the closest to Denver, but the terrain isn't as good. You'll enjoy Breckenridge, as Carty said, because the town rocks.

Incidentally, I still experience pain in that damn knee.

rb

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

We fly out tomorrow. Weather looks good Chicago to Denver.

I see it's constantly snowing in the mountains though. How bad is the drive going to be from Denver to Breckenridge?

5. Boom_70

Honestly - could be fine - could be white knuckle ride. Friday nights traffic is heavy due to weekenders. If you get up to the Divide with no trouble then you should be fine.

The good news is that the sking will be great.

Have fun.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you survive the drive, you'll have a great time.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Jesus Christ, don't say that.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

We fly in tomorrow and we're driving up to Breckenridge in the afternoon. Won't be worrying about the Friday nighters.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's an interstate highway. If the Donner Party can make it, so can you.

10. Boom_70

You should be fine then.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Drive was fine. I-70 west of the Eisenhower wasn't clear, but it wasn't bad. To the Eisenhower was clear with lots of wind and some blowing snow.

But we're here.

I got a last-minute question though. We're meeting up with a friend who moved out here a few years ago. She suggested helmets. We've never used helmets while skiing. And when we rented skis tonight, the dude made no mention of helmets.

Crucial or not? And neither of us will be going down any black runs.

btw, it's absolutely beautiful here.

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Why on earth drive from Bumblefuck to Chicago to fly out when there are direct flights to Denver?

Draft saved Draft deleted