1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help taking NFL stats.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cwhs33, Dec 7, 2009.

1. cwhs33

cwhs33 New Member

Ok, I have taken NBA stats on T.V. and haven't had any problems, but now I want to try and take NFL and College Football stats. I read on another forum a great method to use for play-by-play. So I tried it out during a NFL game. It was way harder than I expected! So many things were going on. I had the most trouble with keeping up with the yard lines. Remember, I'm doing this on T.V. Can you guys help me with this please!

Thanks

2. spud

spud Member

Imagine it wouldn't be any different from taking down prep stats. Just don't get behind.

My question: why are you doing this?

3. cwhs33

cwhs33 New Member

Just a hobby I guess. I'm only 16, so I'm trying to get some experience. I want to become a sports writer or something similar in the future. And I've never did a prep football game.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you want to be a sports writer, write.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And learn grammar. "I've never did" ??

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Kudos on your initiative, cwhs33. Get on your school's paper. Write and read.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If you want to be a sportswriter, read up on steroids and PEDs.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Actually, yeah. Specialize in something. It's not enough to just be a jack-of-all-trades sports guy. Companies want to hire an expert.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you really want to practice taking stats off the TV, that's fine. Bit strange, but fine. But the trick is gonna be the fact that they may not show you the new line of scrimmage until right before the next play, what with replays, sideline shots, huddle shots, etc. If you're doing it in person, you can see where the ref puts the ball down.

But you'll find if you practice enough, the bits of math will start becoming automatic. You won't need to do the math in your head to figure out that, say 41-33=8. Or that a play from the 37 to the opposite 36 is 27. You'll just ... know.

Or maybe that's just my Rainman tendencies.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm that way, too. Just add to the 50, them subtract from the 50. I don't know why people can't figure that out.

11. spud

spud Member

I'm one of the idiots that's always finger counting by five-yard increments in the box.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Football is way easier to keep up with than NBA stats. Assuming you're doing more with the NBA stuff than just keeping up with points. Basketball is damned tough because there's so much going on. Throw in a shot, rebound, maybe an assist every 10-15 seconds ... hell, I'd be insane by the second quarter. I do well with high school basketball stats, but I tried doing it for a college game once and was way, way off.
    With football, you generally have 25-30 seconds between plays. Use that time to catch up. If you're doing play by play, just leave the yard line blank until you see a spot and then fill it in.

Draft saved Draft deleted