1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help please planning my class

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 22, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sweet, thanks.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Your class should include something along the lines of "At a bare minimum, here is what we want from you. And here is the bare minimum you should expect from a journalist. If you are dealing with someone who doesn't work according to these basic precepts, you need to watch out." And talk about things like a devotion to accuracy -- which is different than always being accurate. We won't always be accurate. But a responsible journalist will want to be accurate and be told when they are not (politely of course). They should be told that a good journalist doesn't commit hit-and-run journalism. They give sources the chance to respond before going to press (except in extreme situations) and they show up the next day to take the heat. That kind of thing.

We want these admins/coaches to be good sources. I think part of being a good source is recognizing when you are dealing with a good journalist.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup, page 11: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/36807/

4. Footballreporter

Footballreporter New Member

Hey Mr. Moderator#1 sir:

Besides being a Footballwriter/Scout and an Ex-H.S. Coach
    I'm currently Teaching English Through Journalism in a Sp. Ed. H.S. in NYC

1) Find Marty Glickman's Book (I'll find it here in my storage space and FWD it to you)

2) Get Speakers!!!

3) Get More Speakers!!

4) Try and get them into a Working PressBox During a Game

When i taught 8th and 9th Grade TAG kids in the 90's I took them To a NY Jets Practice (they had to behave like real Writers, not starstruck fans, or i failed them!)
    Then i had college Journalism students come in and speak.....

5. T&C

T&C Member

The correct title of the Stephen Brunt book is The Way It Looks From Here. The subtitle is Contemporary Canadian Writing on Sports and the writers include Chris Jones, Michael Farber, Guy Lawson, Christie Blatchford and Cam Cole. Be forewarned, the collection also includes fiction.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That Maris story ... my god. Chills, again.

And Kindred's story-behind-the-story ... chills to the bone.

Amazing.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Mantle with tears rolling down his cheeks talking about how he wants to be buried in Commerce....you couldn't make up stuff that good.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have two Ed Hinton pieces in my stack of articles to use. The piece he did on Bobby Allison in Sports Illustrated is as good as anything I've read. Ed is about as good as it gets. Exceptional writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted